33. Walker

Aívy

Friday/September 4, 1992/Walker, MN

This house, when I left it at the age 13, the flowers were still blooming. I remember sitting in the back of a car, staring at the porch swing I'd grew up reading books on; seeing my worn rollerblades laid underneath. I couldn't fit them in my one small suitcase. I remember the window down and me listening to the wind dance with the chimes and play one last song for me. I remember crying. I remember the clouds crying too. Rain poured and washed away my game of Hopscotch, cloudy teardrops pounding on the pastel chalk I left in the grass. Shelly's kids, pouting faces, were waving from the porch. This was goodbye to the only home and family I ever knew.

Seven years later, this house was unrecognizable. The vinyl siding was no longer white but filthy; the fence was falling apart; porch swing full of junk; wind chimes old and rusted. This was embarrassing to bring Celeste to.

"She let this place go," I said, walking up to the front door. "It looked nothing like this when I was here."

"Not judging." But when we stepped into the house.... "My God..." Celeste looked at me, I looked at her, and we both wanted to run back out.

"My baby!" Shelly was the most unrecognizable thing in this entire situation. Skin and bones. "I missed you so much!" She gave me kisses, and I was scared a decent hug would break her. "Come in. Don't mind the mess. I haven't had time to clean up yet but I'm so happy you're here!"

Not only was there shit everywhere, the smell alone made your stomach turn.

"Aívy?" Celeste was about to go off. This visit was about to end before it even started. "We're leaving."

"Like hell," Shelly said. "She just got here. You can leave. I'll find her a way home."

"Ivy!" Two kids came running from the back of the house. When I last saw them they were five and six, Leah and Leon. I couldn't believe they remembered me!

"You got so big!" I said hugging them, and Celeste was turning red. They were so pale and skinny, and not a skinny that ran in the family.

"Can you take us to see Paisley Park?" Leah, the younger of the two asked. "Please, please, please?"

"I told you not to bug her," Shelly said. "Ivy, come to the kitch-"

The screen door creaked behind me. I turned to see a boy walk through. It took him saying my name for me to recognize him. "Oh, hey!"

"Hey!" Robbie, my old play buddy from next door. I gave him a huge hug. Thank God he was healthy enough to handle it.

"You look so good," he said, and I returned the compliment. "How have you been?"

"Amazing. You?"

Celeste tapped my shoulder. "I'm going outside."

""Kay."

"Come to the kitchen," Shelly said. "I have something for you. Robbie, turn on that fan for me!"

After he did the chore, he joined us in the kitchen. Shelly had a box on the table but I was studying my surroundings. Same fridge I ran to everyday after school. Same stove I baked my first cake in. Same microwave where I burnt bags of popcorn. But again, nothing was white anymore. All of the appliances were tarnished with nicotine.

In the box were some of my things. Notebooks, school art projects, Barbie dolls. "Thanks, Shelly."

"You're welcome, baby. Who is that lady you brought?"