7. Take Me Away

Monday/September 16, 1991

Paisley Park Studios

The first thing I noticed when settling behind the desk was a three-pound bucket of Twizzlers. The sticky note attached read:

Debt paid in full.

Enjoy

No signature or anything was needed. I knew Prince's handwriting just as well as my own. I was all smiles and giggles from there.

"Frond desk, this is Ivy." Every time I answered that phone, I had the biggest grin on my face. Prince was in the building, I assumed, because his black Jeep was out front, but he never stopped by to see me. Nor was he calling. I kept asking myself, "What the hell is so great about this Monday?" Judy was still gone. And I had half of year worth of Twizzlers. That's about it.

Lunchtime was just around the corner, and I was two seconds away from calling Prince myself and asking 'so, what's up?' But then a man came in with a white box in hand. "Hello," he smiled.

"Hello," I sang back. "How can I help you?"

"Ivy Valentine?"

"Yes." I signed a piece a paper as he set the box down on the countertop. "Thank you."

"Have a good day, Miss."

Smiling big, I peeked in the holes as I was ripping open the top flaps on the box. It looked and smelled like a flower arrangement. "Awww!" It was so cute, I just melted down in my seat, lifting the basket to set in front of me. It was actually a puppy flower arrangement. The cute white and yellow face, made of carnations, was so darn adorable. There were even little brown beans for the eyes and nose. I never seen anything like it.

     There was a small greeting card stuck on the side

Ivy,

Don't know if anyone's told u yet but I had 2 fly out 2 L.A. today. I didn't know I would be here until this morning. I'm producing a record 4 a friend.

Forgive me 4 my absence. I did hope 2 c u 2 talk about something. But I'll be back in a few days 2 kidnap u.

Keep this Hushhh between us.

😉

P.

Hushhh??? Oh, God.

The fact that Prince wanted to kidnap me was great. But that Hushhh comment had me sweating a little. I don't know why, though. He was the reason I started working there.