51 - Stupid

I didn't know what to call this🤷‍♀️

Also, please don't be a silent reader (I'm guilty of this too).

🍪🍪🍪

Lunch rolls around after forever. Miss Jenn and Nini were discussing what musical to do for the semester. "So I have a list of ideas already," Miss Jenn said excitedly.

"Ok, go on." Nini pulls her phone out to record whatever it is that the older woman is about to say but is stopped by a red one on the corner of the phone app. She once again brushes past it for now and opens her notes app. "What'd you have in mind first?"

"Ok, so I was thinking something Disney-related," she gushed. "We haven't done one in a few years."

"Ok, which movie? Are you thinking something from Disney Channel or...?"

"A classic. Something from the early 2000s era." She was talking with her hands, which meant she was definitely excited.

That doesn't answer my question. "Ooh, going old school I see." Nini sometimes questioned Miss Jenn's ideas, yet they always somehow worked out... even if there are about billions of obstacles along the way. We're picking something from 30-40 years ago?

The two women continue to talk and make a list of as many Disney movies that they can think of.

Unfortunately, the lunch bell rang, signaling everyone to head back to class. Luckily, third period was the drama department's planning period, which meant no students, so Nini took this time to listen to Ricky's voicemail. She closed the door to the bomb shelter and knew she'd have a few moments of silence without interruption because Miss Jenn went to go talk with the principal about what musical they could do.

Nini bites her lip and listens to the message. "Hey." His voice was groggy; she could easily tell he had just woken up. "Um, I know you're probably asleep and won't get this for a few hours but, uh..." His voice was shaky. "This might sound stupid, but I just wanted to check on you. And say I'm sorry for not seeing your texts. I was, uh, preoccupied." She heard him mumble, "This is so stupid," under his breath before continuing.

"Anyway, call me whenever you hear this. Or text. Please just get back to me." Nini looks at the screen and sees that the voicemail ended. She wasn't sure what to think. He sounded scared and worried. Maybe it's because of the kids? She wasn't entirely certain of why he sounded so fearful, especially at five in the morning.

She shot him a quick text that just said she would call him this afternoon once school was over. Her thoughts are interrupted when the door swings open. "Ok, so I've talked with Principal Thomas, and our options are quite open. The only rules are..." She looks down at the paper to make sure she reads everything off correctly. "You know, you can just read it. I forgot my medication- uh, meditation this morning, so I'll probably say something wrong."

Nini gives her a small smile. "Jenn, are you ok?"

"Not really," she admits. "It's the fall musical, the most stressful one of all. It sets the expectations for the spring. You'd think after doing it for so long that I'd be used to the first day jitters."

"I- I'm just gonna go read these now," Nini tells her, going to a corner of the room, not wanting to leave her by herself just in case. "Let's see what we're working with," she murmurs to herself.

1. No burning down the theater or any other part of the school
2. Any kind of equipment where the student will be off the ground must be tested by an adult beforehand
3. All rehearsals need at least two supervisors in the room at all times
4. Students' allergies must be discussed beforehand
5. Kissing is forbidden
6. STAY WITHIN BUDGET