73 - Worst-Case Scenario

It was take two on the second date, and so many questions were running through his head.

Ricky asked Noah if he was ok with this date over and over again, and after receiving a week's worth of confirmation, he finally called Nini to reschedule.

She apologized profusely for what had happened before, not necessarily understanding the entirety of the emotions of the situation yet still feeling somewhat guilty for the situation.

Ricky was going to stop by his dad's first to help him move some stuff downstairs to make it easier to get around the house. He felt guilty for not having done it yet, so he figured going today while it was on his mind was the best decision.

He stared at himself in the mirror, smoothing out his shirt with his hands more times than necessary. Nini once again said that she was going to plan something for them to do, so he wasn't quite sure how to dress but took his best guess.

This is Nini; I don't think she'll care too much about clothing... hopefully. Ricky could hear footsteps behind him, and in came Noah. "Hey, bubba. How do I look?" he asked, spinning on his heel. It was just some jeans with a simple black buttoned shirt that he had found in one of the boxes of their move; he honestly didn't remember where it came from.

Noah shrugged. "Why do you have to get dressed up for dates?"

"Because first looks matter. There comes a point down the line when it doesn't though."

"Why?"

He just smiled to himself. "You'll understand when you start dating."

Noah shook his head. "No thanks."

Ricky laughed and picked him up, flying him into the living room. When they were in there, they found Nia on their shared laptop. "Whatcha doin'?" Ricky asked, leaning over the back of the couch to look over her shoulder.

"Trying to figure out a pattern for this dress," she answered, obviously stressed.

"Wow, you literally just started working."

"Yeah, well, she might be a little too excited."

Even with all the stress that came with Noah learning about Ricky going on a date, they still did have lives outside their home to deal with; Ricky went in for the job interview with Big Red and Ashlyn and was both surprised and not when he got the job the next day. He was just a waiter and an occasional delivery guy, but it paid well; he still has yet to gain the courage to talk with his dad about a place at the hardware shop.

"Well, at least we have a stable income now. God, that safety money disappeared faster than lightning."

"I know. Ugh, it's so expensive to be alive."

Ricky chuckled and plopped Noah onto the couch on his back. "Well, if you don't need me for anything else, I'm going to head out."

"Oh, put your work shifts in the calendar."

"Punctual as always."

"And proud."

After quadruple-checking his outfit in the mirror and his pockets to make sure everything was there, Ricky left the apartment with a nervous yet excited smile on his face.

He never once stopped tapping his fingers on the steering wheel as he drove to his dad's; he was more terrified for this date than the first one for some reason. Is it too much for her? God, I wouldn't be surprised.

He pulled into the driveway of his childhood home and went up to the door; he chose to use the key Mike had given him so that the older man wouldn't have to get up and come to the door. Once inside, Ricky called, "Dad!?" He didn't want to accidentally scare him. There was no answer, so he became a little concerned.

"Dad, you here?!" Ricky couldn't remember if his dad had told him that he would be out. Where would he have gone if that was the case? Hardware store? No. That didn't make sense since he didn't need to actually go into the place anymore. The grocery store wasn't any more logical than the first assumption since he orders everything online.

"Dad!" he yelled louder. Ricky began speed walking through the house, scanning every room on the ground floor first before jumping up the stairs two at a time. "Dad!" he shouted again. The upstairs wasn't that big, only having three rooms; because of this, Ricky became more and more worried by the second.

After searching his room and the bathroom, he finally found his dad laying in the master bedroom. Ricky heaved a sigh of relief. Thank god. He just didn't hear me. He saw what he assumed to be his father's hearing aids on a dresser; Ricky realized he's never actually seen his dad wear those before and chortled softly.

He walked around the side of the bed and noticed just how much of a wreck this room was: dirty dishes were stacked on the nightstand; clothes were in piles; and pill bottles were clustered together not in the bathroom (all the caps were on them at the very least).

"Dad? Dad, it's time to get up." Ricky gently shook his shoulder but got no reaction. "Dad? Dad, quit playing. I told you I was coming over today." He shook him harder yet still nothing. Immediately, his mind went to the worst-case scenario. No... it's not...

With a panicking and shaking hand, Ricky felt his father's wrist, grateful to feel something... but it wasn't strong. "Fuck, fuck, shit... fuck!"

He pulled his phone out of his pocket and nearly dropped it while trying to open the phone app. "911, what is your emergency?"

"H- Hi, yes. My dad has... fainted I guess. I don't know; I just showed up at his house and thought he was asleep, but his pulse isn't strong, so I-" Ricky's breathing grew heavier as he tried to speak. "I need an ambulance. Fast!"

"Ok, one is on the way now."

"Th- Thank you." He hung up and knelt by the bed. He held his dad's hand and leaned his head against the bed, wishing the dark thoughts and situations in his head wouldn't come true. Please... not now.

🍪🍪🍪

Best friend writer's block is back👍