86 - Three Wishes

Ricky slowly woke up and gradually began to register what was going on around him. He could hear something sizzling and the smell of breakfast foods in the air. He lazily raised his head off the couch and looked around.

"Oh, hey," Nia said when she saw him. "I figured I'd let you sleep in a little. You were out," she chortled.

"Yeah, I, um... I accidentally stayed out later than I intended to." He stood up and stretched, walking into the kitchen.

"You didn't, like..."

He caught on to what she was saying and responded with, "No no, of course not."

"Oh, your dad called," she said, grabbing her phone.

"He did? What'd he say?"

"He wanted you to come over around two if you were awake."

"What time is it now?"

"Uh, 1:30."

"Oh god, I need to head over now then." He began scrambling around the apartment to grab whatever it is he needed.

"You know he only lives like fifteen minutes away though, right?!" she called as he went back to the bedroom

He ignored her and asked, "Did he say what this was about?"

"No, just that he wanted you to come over."

Ok, so his health is probably still fine. He quickly kissed Noah on the head, the boy hugging him back in response. "Ok, I'll be back soon. I don't imagine this will take too long."

"Wait, you haven't eaten anything yet!" Nia hollered as he was standing at the front door.

Ricky quickly ran back to the kitchen and grabbed a few pieces of bacon. "I'll be back to eat. Hopefully, this doesn't last more than an hour."

"Alright. Later!"

"Bye, Dad!" Noah called.

Ricky rapidly made his way down to the parking lot and started the car, on the road in no time. He kept questioning what this was about the whole time. He quickly made it to his dad's house, going up to the front door and knocking to not scare him; he wondered if he would be able to hear him anyway. "Come in!" he heard.

Ricky opened the door and was extremely confused when he saw another man sitting with his father on the couch. He was wearing a full-on suit and had a briefcase open with a large stack of papers scattered.

"Dad?" Ricky said skeptically.

"Ricky! Good, you're here." His father waved him over, and he sat in a chair. "This is my lawyer, Samuel Robertson."

Ricky shook the man's hand, the two sharing a short greeting, and looked at his father. "What's happening?"

"Oh, we have just a few more papers, and then we can talk."

Ricky just sat in the chair awkwardly while the two others whispered to each other. He'd see his father nod and sign something every now and then, trying to see what the document said. After another ten minutes, Mike walked Samuel to the door.

"Sorry about that," Mike apologized. "I hadn't realized how long that was going to take. I thought he would've been gone by the time you'd be here."

"Dad, what's going on?"

"Samuel was here... because I made some changes to my will."

"Wh- What are you talking about? Is your health worse? Why are you talking about a will? You know you can call me at any time; it doesn't matter if it's the middle of the day or three in the morning. I-"

3 YearsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara