five

"Married?! Are you out of your mind?! The news is all over the internet! Now people are talking about how the Park Specialist Hospital director's daughter got married without people knowing! And the fact that it was a stupid, drunk mistake!" Mr Park scolded Edlyn as he walked back and forth in the living room. She lowered her gaze and fiddled with her fingers, afraid that it would get worse if she spoke up.

Jay leaned against the wall, watching his father exhale heavily out of frustration and thinking of a solution. Edlyn bit her bottom lip in fear before speaking, "Jake and I were planning to get an annulment."

Mr Park sat down and closed his eyes, making his children wait for him to speak. Jay sat down, "Dad, an annulment is great and we don't have to think about this marriage anymore-"

"Don't. Hojun already spread the news to everyone and he's having an interview with a reporter. That man would not shut up about this just for clout. Continue this marriage. We will plan for a proper wedding."

"No! Dad! I'm still young! And I haven't even continued my studies yet! Please, dad, I don't want to get married to a stranger whom I don't love," Edlyn begged, shocked by her father's decision.

"I will not let you embarrass our family and just said that it's a drunken mistake to the reporters. You know how famous our family is. That one mistake could ruin my career. At least be married for a few months then you and Jake can decide if you both wanted a divorce. It's easier to get an annulment when no one knows about this but you and that husband of yours decided to create a scene at the restaurant."

With that, Mr Park left the living room, frustrated at his daughter's mistake. Jay stood up before putting his jacket on, "You will meet Jake and discuss this."

She watched her brother leave the house. She grabbed a fistful of her hair and buried her face into the couch, frustrated and stressed about the marriage.

Jake played with his phone as he waited for Edlyn to arrive at the cafe. A female figure sat in front of him and he sighed, "So, Edlyn, what did your father say?"

"He told me to continue with this marriage and that we will get a proper wedding," she avoided his gaze, looking at the counter. "I think it's a great idea, I guess," his words earned her by surprise. She wanted to yell at him but remembered they both were in public and that any actions that she made would be in the news.

"Yah! Are you crazy? I am not going to marry you."

"I know it's a crazy idea but my parents also told me to continue with this marriage. Let's think of it as a deal. If you marry me, then it would be easier for you to take over the hospitals without people doubting your qualification, since you already have the reporters listing every single step you take. And it will be easier for me to get a promotion. So what do you say?"

She thought for a while. The marriage was just like in those dramas where they would make a deal and a contract so that both parties would get benefits for being married to one another. However, in those dramas, they would always end with a love story. She didn't want that. It would be creepy and weird to fall in love with a stranger, especially if the stranger was her brother's best friend.

"When are we getting a divorce?" She asked. He thought for a while, "Probably after a few months? You decide."

"Three months and that is it," she said. He shook his head 'no', "That's too short. People would get suspicious and realise it was just for us to get the benefits. How about six?"

"Then, why did you ask me to decide?" She got annoyed and stood up before leaving the cafe.