forty-three

Days have passed. Edlyn pushed herself on the wheelchair around the hallway, watching the nurses walk around and patients talking to their guardians. She pushed herself to Jake's room, seeing him lay on the bed.

He was still in a coma. The monitor beside the bed beeps normally. She approached him and stared at him for a while. Her attention dropped to his hand. He was wearing his wedding ring. She noticed that he never took it off. She was the only one who wore it whenever they had a family gathering.

I never noticed that you like me.

She grabbed his hand before caressing it, praying to God for him to wake up. She put his hand against her cheek, "Your hand is warm."

She stood up weakly and held the bed for support. She slowly leaned forward before kissing his lips.

I like you too.

The door slammed open and Sorin barged in, "Jake!"

Edlyn looked at her confusedly before being pushed to the side aggressively. She fell and her hand accidentally pushed the monitor. Sorin kept shaking Jake's body, "Please wake up!"

She glared at Edlyn before grabbing her by the collar, "You did this! Unfortunate events always happen when you're around! Look what you've done! He almost died because of you!"

She slapped Edlyn hard in the face. Edlyn's ears started ringing again, creating a painful sting. She held her ears and screamed in pain, "Please stop! It hurts!"

Daera rushed in, "Yah, Han Sorin!"

Daera helped Edlyn get up before making her sit in the wheelchair. She quickly pushed Sorin away from the bed, "Don't you realise that you're hurting Jake's wife? He's married! Stop acting as if you own him!"

"She always brings unfortunate events with her! Look what she did to her mother! She died because of her!" Sorin spat.

Did Sorin know about Edlyn's trauma? Daera thought to herself. She glared at the girl and grabbed her wrist aggressively, "Leave."

Sorin scoffed and was about to slap her but she grabbed her hand, "I said leave."

"Jake is mine! If she didn't exist, we would've lived happily already!"

Sorin pushed Daera aggressively to the side. Daera fell and her hand accidentally hit the glass vase next to the bed. The vase fell and broke into pieces. Her hands started bleeding and she groaned in pain.

The door opened and Jay rushed in, followed by Sunghoon from behind. His eyes widened and he immediately ran to his sister, "Edlyn!"

Edlyn was crying as she cupped both of her ears, trying to stop the painful ringing. Daera looked at her bleeding hands, trying to take out the remaining glass pieces that were in them.

Sunghoon kneeled in front of her, "Are you okay?"

"Do I look like I'm okay?" She asked angrily. He instantly helped her get up before bringing her to his office to treat her wound. Jay grabbed Sorin's wrist and dragged her to the lobby.

"You can't do this! I need to see Jake!" She tried to push him away. Two security guards came and he sighed, "Make sure she never comes here ever again." She scoffed, "Yah! Who do you think you are?"

"Oh, and one more thing, be prepared to throw away all your medical books. My father will kick you out of school," he said before walking away.

Daera looked away, avoiding eye contact with Sunghoon who was sitting close to her. He was focused on her hands as he treated her wound and washed the blood off with medicine.

"I'm sorry I didn't come earlier," he apologised. She looked at him confusedly, "What for?"

"You can't damage your hands. You're gonna be a surgeon, right? You need to take care of them carefully," he scolded softly. She scoffed, "What are you? My father?"

He sighed and let go of her hand, "Why do you hate me so much?"

"I don't hate you."

"Then will you go out with me?"

"No," she answered blankly. He scoffed, "No girl has ever said that to me."

"Well, you have one now."

"Why? Is it because I'm too hot for you?" He asked, his ego crushed into pieces. She glared at him, "Just remember that there are guys out there that are hotter and better than you."

"Then what is it that you don't like about me?"

"You date girls and then you leave them just like that. I know guys like you. I'm tired of experiencing that so I'm not going to date. I'm going to be alone."

"Fine," he sighed and moved away from her. He wiped his hands and turned around, his back facing her.

"Yah," she called. He frowned, "I would like you to leave, please."

She scoffed and glared, "Fine."

He exhaled, "She's blind."

Daera left the room and mumbled under her breath, "Narcissistic jerk."