forty-one

Edlyn managed to take off the seatbelt and sighed in relief. She immediately shook Jake's body to wake him up but there was no response. She opened the door weakly and crawled out, hoping for someone to see them.

Her body was aching so much that she gave up and lay on the road, staring at the dark sky. The car was letting out too much smoke and her eyes widened, realising that a fire was about to start. She gathered her strength to stand up before rushing towards the driver's seat.

She tried to open Jake's door but failed. She grabbed a rock near her and hit the window, watching the glass shatter into pieces. She unlocked the door and instantly pulled him out of the car.

The car suddenly caught on fire and the gas smell was so strong Edlyn had to cup her nose and mouth. Her head started spinning due to the smell and she lay next to Jake. Her eyelids become heavy and she exhaled heavily before falling into darkness.

Jay ran as fast as he could to the emergency room. He didn't care about the patients and doctors that were watching him. He barged into the room and saw Jake's unconscious body. Sunghoon was treating the wound on his head. He sighed, "His head hit the steering wheel too hard. If we're out of time, he could die!"

Jay put on his gloves and mask before grabbing a surgical tool. He would do anything to save his best friend. Sunghoon started to panic, "His heart rate is getting lower!"

"Can you pass me the defibrillator, please," Jay requested.

Seconds become minutes and minutes become hours. Seven hours passed and they finished with the surgery. Jake's heart rate was still low but he managed to live. Sunghoon exhaled tiredly before washing the blood off his hands.

"I'm going to see my sister," Jay said before leaving the room. He scurried immediately to Edlyn's room, seeing her sleeping on the bed. Her hands were bruised and her head was wrapped in a bandage.

He moved a few strands of hair from her face and smiled, "You are so brave."

The door opened, revealing Heeseung who stood there with a sympathetic expression. He was still in his surgical scrubs as he buried his hands into the pockets. He approached him and looked at Edlyn's face.

"The car brake didn't work. They crashed into a tree," he said. Jay sighed, "I'm just glad they're both safe. I'm afraid that it will add more trauma to her."

"The police are investigating the car crash. Something is not right," Heeseung said as he sat on the chair next to Jay.

"What do you mean?"

"The wires that connect to the brake was cut off. Someone must've cut it off to kill them. And if Edlyn and Jake didn't escape the car immediately, they would've been caught on fire."

"My guts have been telling me that it's Hojun's doing," Jay said, clenching his fists.

"He is one of the suspects. The second suspect is Sorin. But we can't just accuse them like that. We need proof."

"What proof, Heeseung? My sister almost died in a car crash! And it would add up to her trauma. It's bad enough that she was involved in an accident with my mother. I don't want her to blame herself for the rest of her life," Jay said out of annoyance, "First, the corpses. Then, this accident. The person who planned all this knows her trauma and her biggest fears."

"How's my daughter?" Mr Park suddenly went in, Sunghoon following him from behind. Heeseung bowed at the director as a sign of respect, "Welcome, Mr Park."

"She's resting for a while. She doesn't have any severe injuries. Just a few wounds and a minor concussion," Sunghoon explained.

"Thank you, son. For saving Jake," the old man smiled. Jay lowered his gaze, "He's my best friend, dad."

"I'm sure all of you haven't rested yet. You all may get a few days off. And thank you again for saving my daughter and son-in-law," Mr Park said before leaving the room.

"Our main suspects now are Hojun and Sorin. Whenever they're in your class, keep an eye on them," Jay ordered before leaving the room.

Sunghoon and Heeseung glanced at each other, nodding slowly.