forty-eight

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
six months later...
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Jake groaned tiredly as he stretched his arms out, still in bed. He turned to the side and exhaled calmly. Edlyn barged into the room, already in her sports attire. She had her hair tied into a bun. She sighed before grabbing a pillow and hitting him with it to wake him up.

He whined, "It's still early!"

"You promised to do yoga with me!" She scolded. He sat up and glared at her, "I'm too tired. I just had a 15-hour surgery yesterday."

"You said you have another surgery the day after tomorrow. And you promised to do yoga with me. It's good for early pregnancy, you know."

He frowned and buried his face into the pillow, "Can we do it tomorrow?"

"We're going to do some ultrasound checkups on the baby, remember? Since it's already been three months." She had her hands on her hip. She rolled her eyes and left the room, "Fine. I'll do it with Heeseung then."

He immediately got up and rushed to the closet to get changed, "I'm up! I'm up!"

They both sat next to each other as they watched the yoga instructor on the tv. They stretched their legs out and held each other's hands. Jake groaned in pain, "I doubt the couples last long when doing this."

"If you don't stop talking, we'll be the next one." She gave him a fake smile. "I'm tired," he said before laying on the yoga mat.

Edlyn watched him close his eyes before she felt something kicking in her belly for the first time. Her eyes widened, "Jake..."

He hummed in response, falling asleep. "I think the baby kicked," she muttered. He quickly got up and put his palm on her belly. He flinched when he felt something kicking and smiled happily, "Is that my child?"

She nodded and he pecked her cheek, "The fact that I created it is just...wow," he sighed in relief. "I can't wait to see our child grow up and then run around the house. I'll probably buy a bigger house so that we can have more children to run around," he said.

She leaned forward to listen more. He continued, "Then, I'll clean their rooms, change their diapers. You'll cook for them and rest in the living room while I do the dishes. And then, we'll put them to sleep so that we can have our alone time."

"You already planned all of it?" She laughed. He nodded and smiled, kissing her forehead.

"You're not coming to dinner?" Daera asked as she put the call on speaker, calling Edlyn. "No, Jake and I decided to have a romantic dinner at home. You can go on without me," Edlyn answered.

"You're so boring. I hate you," she chuckled softly before ending the call. She parked her car at the side of the road and walked into the luxury restaurant. She was supposed to go with Edlyn but the plan got cancelled.

She went in and saw Jay greeting his seniors at the entrance. He had a tuxedo on which made him look like a handsome rich gentleman. She cleared her throat and he smiled at her, noticing her presence.

"Hi," he said softly. She smiled, "Edlyn couldn't come. So... it's just me."

He motioned her to go search for her table. She stared at the interior design in awe, amazed at how fancy and glamorous it looked. Mr Park had reserved the whole restaurant just for their class to have dinner.

She walked around and saw Sunghoon laughing with his colleagues. Her heart thumped quickly and she blushed.

Ever since he helped her repair her car, he wouldn't leave her alone. She couldn't finish her assignment? He was there to help her. She was too late in her cadaver surgery test? He was there to help her. She was sick and couldn't attend class? He came to her house just to check on her condition and feed her porridge.

After a few months of him doing that, she got used to it and didn't mind him doing that all the time.

But it was different for Sunghoon. He tried to win her heart. He tried for months. But she kept showing him that she doesn't like him. And eventually, he gave up. He decided to just have fun at the dinner and sleep with any girl that throws herself at him.

Daera's lips curved into a small smile and she wanted to sit at a table near his. She greeted her friends and looked at Sunghoon secretly. She decided to confess her real feelings to him that night.

Edlyn sat at the kitchen island as she watched Jake showing his cooking skills. He smirked and cooked the vegetables carefully, making sure they didn't burn. She laughed, "Do you have to do that?"

"Don't lie. I know you like it," he chuckled. She got off the stool slowly and quietly scurried towards him before giving him a back hug. He flinched in surprise before tightening her grip around his waist.

"What's this for?" He asked, amused by the sudden hug. She closed her eyes and inhaled his expensive perfume scent. He was wearing the expensive perfume she bought for his 26th birthday.

"I rarely see you nowadays. You always have surgery to handle and I have to see Sunghoon every day since I'm in his classes."

He turned off the stove and turned around before embracing her. He rested his chin on her head, "I won't run away. So you don't have to be afraid of losing me."

She nodded. She thought for a while and an idea crossed her mind, "I haven't had nightmares of my mother since the second car accident. And I'm not afraid of blood anymore. I even passed my cadaver test. I was thinking...how about we visit her grave tomorrow?"

He furrowed his eyebrows surprisedly, "Really? We can if you want."