nine

Days became weeks. Weeks become months. And then the date of the wedding arrived. Jake stared at himself in the mirror, fixing his bowtie and the small flower that was pinned at the right side of his chest. The door for knocked and Sunghoon walked in, smirking, "Look who's getting married."

He frowned when his friend mentioned the wedding. "It's just a contractual marriage. Don't get your hopes up." Sunghoon scoffed and sat on the couch behind him. He watched as his friend fixed his bowtie nervously, inhaling and exhaling continuously.

"Yah, it's not that serious. Just get married and then you both can mind your business," Sunghoon said as he rolled his eyes. "Says someone who keeps getting the girls' hopes up but then dumps them. That is so cool, Sunghoon-ah," Jake spat sarcastically. "They just bore me a lot. Shopping then sex, then eating and it will be repeated all over again."

Jake sighed tiredly and fixed his suit but stopped when the door opened. Mr Park walked in slowly, holding Jay's arm for support. "Where is the groom?" Mr Park asked happily. Jake smiled and bowed at the director before helping him sit on the couch next to Sunghoon.

"Take a few deep breaths, Jake-ah. When I was your age and was getting married to Edlyn and Jay's late mother, I was also nervous like you. But trust me, when the wedding's over, it will make you so relieved."

Jake nodded and turned around before frowning. He didn't want to marry a person he didn't love but he had no other way. This marriage could promote him into a higher position and it could also benefit his future wife with whatever she wanted from the job.

"I think it's time. Edlyn also said she's ready," Jay said and they all stood up before leaving the waiting room.

Edlyn walked back and forth in her gown, praying to God so that nothing would go wrong. The door opened and revealed Heeseung, holding a bouquet. Her eyes widened in surprise, "Professor!"

"Jay told me to check on you. You're very beautiful in that dress," he smiled softly before putting the flowers on the table. She nodded and thanked him before walking to the door but accidentally stepped on her gown and fell. He scurried towards her in panic, "Edlyn!"

He held her arm to help her stand up, "Are you okay?"

Her heart thumped nervously as butterflies flew around her stomach, creating an uncomfortable feel. She cleared her throat before nodding at him. They both left the waiting room to walk to the hall. Heeseung walked into the hall first and cheered for her. She smiled and took a deep breath, holding her bouquet nervously. The doors opened and she saw Jake waiting at the arbour.

She walked down the aisle and saw familiar guests. Sunghoon, Heeseung and Jay sat at the front seat with her father. Jake's parents were also smiling at her, encouraging her to keep walking. When she reached Jake, he held her hand, causing her stomach to produce more butterflies.

"I announce you as husband and wife. You may kiss the bride."

Edlyn lowered her gaze nervously as her hands trembled while holding Jake's hand. All the guests waited in anticipation for their kiss. Jay chuckled nervously, "They're probably a bit nervous."

"It's not like they never kiss each other," Mr Park sighed and folded his arms. Jake cupped her cheeks and kissed her forehead quickly. She faked a smile as she looked at the guests cheering for them.

The car ride to their new house was awkward (again). None of them muttered any words to each other. After a while, they finally arrived at the apartment. Jake had purchased a penthouse months before their wedding took place. He parked the car in the parking lot before leading her to the penthouse.

She frowned, I know he already moved his clothes to the house but it wouldn't hurt to help me carry my things, right?

She tried her best not to curse at him loudly as she struggled to carry her bags. He inserted the password of the door, "The passcode for the door is your birth date."

She widened her eyes before cringing at his words, he didn't have to be that romantic all of a sudden.

"There are rules in this house. Your room is across from my room on the right side of the corner. Never enter my room without my permission. We will be going to the university separately and try to wake up early so that you don't enter my class late. There's no need to act as husband and wife unless guests are coming here, except for your brother, Heeseung and Sunghoon."

She nodded and was about to go to her room before he stopped her, "I thought about what you said before. And I agree. We both can cheat on each other. So it doesn't matter which girl I bring home and which guy you bring home. As long as we respect each other's privacy then we're fine."

She watched as he walked past her to go into his room. She scoffed and went into her room, looking around in awe, he designed the room really nicely!

She smiled as she checked the bathroom. The room looked like those luxurious hotels she stayed with Jay. She scurried to the balcony and opened the sliding door before walking out. Bright skyscrapers were greeting her with their night lights. Stars were twinkling at the sky.

"Be strong, Edlyn. Nothing could go wrong."