fourteen

Edlyn walked to the rooftop, the place where she first met Jake. She looked around as she let the wind brush against her skin, pushing her hair backwards. She scoffed and took a deep breath when she thought about Sorin, the girl that boldly said she wanted to meet her husband.

"Didn't he say he wanted to stay loyal even though it's just for a few months? Now, look who's talking. He's in his office probably sucking off her face," she mumbled to herself angrily. Then, a sudden realisation hit her and she laughed, "Why am I like this? Am I jealous? Oh please."

She thought about her husband's serious face when he was performing surgery. He looked like he was trying his best to save his patient. He looked handsome and charismatic. Her knees felt weak and she squatted down, remembering the blood that oozed out of the unconscious body.

"Park Edlyn?" A soft male voice called her. She turned around and saw Heeseung smiling at her as he approached her, still in his doctor's coat. She bowed at him and looked at him as he sighed, seeing the tall buildings.

"Are you okay?" He asked. She chuckled softly, "Is there any student that was scared of blood but ended up being a surgeon anyway?"

"Never. If you want to be a surgeon, you must overcome your fear of blood. What's wrong?"

"I saw Jake perform surgery on a patient today. There was so much blood. My heart stopped beating for a second. It was a scary sight. It made me think of why I wanted to be a surgeon in the first place."

He nodded and lowered his gaze, "Same goes to your brother. He couldn't stand the sight of blood before. I didn't know how he overcame it, he's one of the best neurosurgeons here in this hospital."

She felt the warm presence from him. Her heart pounded nervously as her stomach produced butterflies. She looked away and cleared her throat, "My mother passed away from a car accident. I was there with her. I lived, she didn't."

Heeseung didn't know what to say as he looked away awkwardly. She continued, "The car crashed into a big tree. I opened my eyes and saw my mom's eyes wide open as blood was oozing out of her mouth. Her neck broke and her legs were stuck in between the seating area. It traumatised me to see my mom in that condition."

"Until this day, I kept blaming myself. My dad and Jay tried to convince me that it wasn't my fault. But if it wasn't, she would have lived. That's why I don't like blood. It reminded me of her. Every night, I felt like she was watching me with vengeful eyes for not saving her."

She thought for a while, remembering the accident and her mother's dead face. He held both of her shoulders to make her face him, "It's not your fault. If it was you who passed away, I'm sure she will live her life with regret for not saving you. I'm sure she's happy to see you grow up to be a smart and beautiful person."

Edlyn felt comfort when he said that. She smiled softly and nodded, "I hope so."

Edlyn walked to her father's office and went in. Her father was on leave since he had a meeting overseas. She knew he kept a photo album of her mother since they both met in college. She rummaged through the drawers and saw a book with "Her." written on it.

She turned to the pages and saw photos of her mother smiling with her friends. Her mother looked so happy, especially in the wedding photo with her father. She looked beautiful and cheerful that day.

The door opened and she immediately turned around, seeing Jay walking in with a few files. He sighed when he saw what she was doing and put down the files on the desk, "What are you doing here? Where's Jake?"

"He's working," she said as she watched her brother take the photo album that she was holding and putting it back into the drawer. Jay never liked it when she looked at the photos of their mother. He knew his sister would be blaming herself for the accident and tried his best to prevent her from remembering it.

"Why are you here?" He asked sternly. She fiddled with her fingers nervously, "I'm sorry. I know you don't like me seeing pictures of mom. But can you bring me to her grave?"

He was taken aback by the request. He nodded slowly and motioned her to follow him outside, "Grab your coat. We're going there in a few minutes."