chapter 3

3 years later

I woke up to my step mom knocking on the door, telling me it was time for school. When I got up, I went to the door, opened it to tell her I was awake and I'll be out and down in ten minutes or so. When she nodded, I closed the door back and went into my bathroom through the 2nd door in my room. Me and my sister share it, since our rooms are on either side of it and our brother was across from it but he had his own bathroom just like us. But the other room on the other side was a spare bedroom and then at the end of the hall was our parents with their own bathroom.
As I ran into the bathroom just as Carlie was getting out of bed. She looked my way and I shut her side door, so I could take my shower. I was in long, only about 5 minutes or so. It was a quick one since I took one last night to help me fall asleep faster, just didn't wash my hair. Once I was out, Carlie knocked on the door than came in as I was walking out. I shut my door for both our sales, then went to my closet to find me clothes for school.
I was a freshman in high school, I was lucky to even get there. After I lost my mother 3 years ago, I didn't want to go to school hardly the 1st year of her being gone. The 2nd year was about the same just a little less then the 1st year. My father kept me out for 3 months to try to help to get back to normal. Even with counseling for my age. Especially since I locked myself in my bedroom once they gave me my own room after the 1st week. My sister was the only one allowed in to try and help but after awhile, I didn't want anyone.

"Cynthia, where father?" I asked as I came downstairs for breakfast?"
"He's left for his trip already." She told me as she handed me my plate.
"Really? He was supposed to take me to school today. He said he had to give me something."
"I'm sorry Rosey, he already left. But he did say give this to you already." She said as she handed me a rectangle box.

I grabbed it from her and opened it. It was a necklace with my mothers name on it. All gold with her birthstone in graved into the "I". I loved it but was hurt her wasn't the one giving it to me. I took it out of the box and put it on and wore it proudly. I needed to, it was my mothers name. I woman I needed to worship to til the last breathe I take.

"Tell him thank you if you hear from him." I said as I started to eat.

Carlie came down, hurried up and ate her food then grabbed her stuff to head to her car. I ran after her to ask her for a ride, which she gladly gave me one. She knew our father was supposed too, but his work came first before us. No matter what, it was always work.
Chris, he was already at school. He was the quarterback so he had practice this morning. When we pulled in, he was walking back to his truck, to drop off his football stuff. When he saw us, he came to me and gave me a hug. When he saw my necklace, he smiled.

"See you got fathers gift?" He said.
"Yeah, your mother gave it to me."
"Dad, left before giving it to her." Carlie said.
"Of course he did." Chris had said as he shut his door. "Are you sure about coming to school today?" He asked me.
"Yes, I have to move on. I know she," I started to say as I touched my necklace. "Would want me to."
"Yes she would." Carlie agreed.

As we all walked into the school, everyone had stepped away from us to make room. We was like the cool kids of the school. Well my siblings were. Me, they just left me alone sometimes because of who I was related to. Other then one boy, Jacob. He was a bad boy in the school and someone I kinda liked. We hung out when we could, when he wasn't in trouble or I came to school. I've known him for a few years. Met him in middle school, back in 7th grade. Had a huge crash on him, just never told him but he figured it out by the end of the 8th grade.
We spent the whole summer together doing anything and everything. He actually helped me over what was going through. He actually showed me how to do things, like kissing/making out, smoking, a few small drugs that my mother would be pissed about if she ever knew what was going on. She would roll in her grave, if she knew what I was doing. My father well, he's hardly home to know and Cynthia, she's always busy working at the coffee shops.

"Hey babe," Jacob calls as I got to him.
"Back at cha." I said as I lean into him to give him a kiss.
"Gross." My sister says as she walked passed us. "Do y'all have to do that here in the hall." She said as she opened her locker.

I just giggled. For her being the oldest, I would expect to see her doing this but she was more worried about her schooling than boys. She was different than me and our brother. He was a lady's man and I was all Jacob's. Even though I'm 13 and he's 15 but I didn't care nor did he.
The school ended horrible slow but I was glad it was over. Jacob and I walked over to the bleachers and smoked a little while we watched my brother practiced some more and my sister do track. I leaned against him as I took a few hits before passing it over to a buddy of his.

"So Cynthia, its hard to believe your one of them and acting like this." Nate has said as he blew out his smoke.
"And why I that?" I asked as I looked off towards my siblings. "You expect me to be all into sports, good grades, the most popular kid in school with a cute boy around my waist?" I asked as I looked at him then Jacob.
"Well yea. Your a Jefferson. For years they ran shit."
"Well I'm not a Jefferson. Yes my father may be Mark Jefferson but I'm named after my mother thank you. And I can do what I please." I said as I took the joint out of his hand and hit it a few more times before walking off.
"Dude, seriously? Lay off her." I heard Jacob said as he ran after me.

As he got to me, he grabbed me and held me in his arms. Told me not to pay attention to Nate like that. He's high and stupid. Which we all knew that.
I kissed Jacob and we headed towards his car and chilled out until my siblings were done. As we sat there, we made out and done some things that once again, my mother would roll in her grave for. But I didn't care.
Once we were done, I saw my sister walking over to her car, which made me kiss Jacob one last time then got out.

"There you are?" Carlie said. "Hanging out with Jacob and Nate wasn't you?" She asked.
"Maybe." I said smiling a little.
Carlie shook her head. "I don't get now you can hang with Nate, let alone Jacob. They are bad."
"Maybe I like bad. They are nice to me, they don't see me like everyone see me as a Jefferson." I told her as I got into the car.
"Sorry, I know its hard." She said as she pat my leg.

That night, I was laying in bed thinking of everything Nate had said. Me being one of them but hang out with him and Jacob. I wonder, if my mother never told me who my father was, where I would be and how would I be. Who I be like this or would I be like a Goody Two-Shoes type of person. Like how my siblings are?
Only if I knew. Only if my mother never left. Only if.....
Only....
That's all I could think about right now as I lay here and try to fall asleep. To take awake my highness before Cynthia got home.