Chapter 13. A Heroic Choice.

Please enjoy and thank you all for allowing me to have a few days to myself.💛💛💛

There were 17 left. The number dropped by half.

They gave us a bottle of water and a cooked potato. I watched in amusement as Mi nyeo pissed off 101 from across the room. I wonder who screwed who over? They were passionately making love the other day. Did the money come in between them? He breathed harder when his eyes locked with hers.

Sae-byeok didn't look ok from the start but she wasn't eating and she looked more sad than blank or angry. I sat beside her and rubbed her lower back. As closed off as a person she was, I don't think asking her what was wrong would do any good, so I just pulled her into a side hug. We both needed it. These past few days have been an emotional rollercoaster, and I feel like I'm going through puberty all over again. I wouldn't be surprised if, when I wake up tomorrow, I look like I have herpes from the pimples. 

"Please eat, little at a time, if you need. " I tried to comfort her as much as I could, but I don't know what I am doing. I've been winging it this entire time. At least she took small bites instead of sitting and looking at it. That was a start.

"Don't worry about it. He was only a man you knew for a few days. See that man over there. His partner was his wife." I overheard the conversation across from us. Even though I met Ari a few days ago, I still grew the need to protect her as if she were my own. And to know you failed can break a man. Especially if they were your lover. The man stood up. It wasn't shaking, but like he was drained of all life.

"Let's just stop all this. I can't keep doing this. I can't." We had seen so many people cry. So many I don't know whether if I should feel heartache or nothing. "The majority must agree. Well, come on, let's get out. Half of us, that's all we need to end this right now. Don't any of you want to leave this horrible place? If anyone wants to go, stand up. Let's get out of here." he looked around at all of us and started screaming. How do we call ourselves human? well, believe it or not, the human race is the scariest thing on this planet. Human is not to love or praise, human is to destroy and replace.

"So what if we stop now, you think your wife will stop being dead if we all go now? and she'll forgive you for letting her get murdered? If you can't keep going, then why are you alive right now? you should have been the one who dies in there instead. See that, that's the price of being in here. And your wife and the others paid it with their lives" That's a harsh way to put it but alright. "And you wanna go and leave? You wanna start from the beginning again? You ready to do all that, huh?" 069 sobbed as the other guy held fist fulls of his jacket "Starting over again from nothing with that guilt.-" I stepped in, as much as he was right, I hate to have to watch this play on longer.

"That's enough, I'm sure your message was clear you can back off now." He and I locked eyes, I guess he wanted to avoid another fight seeing as he huffed and patted back to his bed.

As scheduled the lights went out. Nobody seemed to have a plan to attack, I will assume the majority would stop it from happening as 101's goons died on the marble game. I could hear prayers being told out loud, I know that I wasn't the only one who was slightly annoyed with him speaking at the most inconvenient times. I was thankful for that nap I took earlier because with how I had to sleep I didn't get much sleep at all. the lights came on within a second and so did the music. It becomes our alarm at this point.

The alarm blares as soldiers came in holding another bow box. Did someone die? We watched as they walked over to the guy who had the breakdown last night. He had killed himself by using the sheets as a noose. "Player 69 eliminated." While they untied him and placed his body into the box the trilling of the piggy bank sounded. Carried him out without anything to say. None of us spoke about it. We could feel the energy already.

"Attention, all players. The fifth game is bout to begin." I had forgotten what game we were on. 5th only one more. This would surely have to be harder. To kill us off. äll players please follow staff instructions and swiftly make your way towards the game hall." The line going up the pink steps became shorter, for obvious reasons. But it no longer held that same feel to it at the start. less competitive more save yourself. I smiled a little and waved to Pinky on my way up, maybe in hopes all the kindness I've given will help me get across. Like good karma.

We had gone further and further up. Whatever this next game maybe it has something to do with height or the sun? I have no idea. In the white room, there were 16 mannequins with vests on them. Each vest had a number. 

"Welcome players to the fifth game. Before we begin, please make your way down the steps and choose one of the mannequins that you see presented before you. Once you've chosen, take the corresponding vest. They are numbered 1 through 16. Let me repeat the instructions." when people started stepping forward the first vests to go were the middle numbers.

If this has to do with play order then wouldn't it be better to go at the back? being at the back in the first game hadn't gone so well for those who didn't make it, so maybe not. I had walked up to number 13 and picked it from the mannequin, those that didn't grab a middle number was quick to grab any number after 13. The man who had cared for the old man had trouble picking a vest, leaving only two. number 1 and number 16. Both are bad places to be but someone had to fill it. 

"Excuse me? Could I be number one instead? For as long as I can remember I've been hiding behind people when I got scared. My life has been this thing that I've never really been able to truly control. And I tried to act like I wasn't afraid, but I was. And now, as always, I'm Choosing my number last. I wanna get at least one last chance to claim ownership of my life. Sir give me this chance." A guy nobody had really noticed had wanted to play a hero, he wasn't born to be one but at least he has the guts to try.

----------------------

(1188 words)Edited

The next chapter will be bull shite. Like the rest of this story (not in a self-destructive, negative way) if you were to try any of these tricks that I have made up you could die if you played the squid game. Maybe the red light, green light would actually work coz after I wrote the chapter I went back and there were around 5-6 seconds/ old man steps between each red light, green light. And he was just walking sooo. Don't think it's too unrealistic because this is our imagination I'm moulding here so give meh a break haha.
love you and have a great day and a beautiful sleep