Chapter 17. A Beautiful Worry.

I took the time to go out and buy a relativity nice dress. A navy blue with little floral patterns in the fabric belt that sat high on my waist. There were shoes to match, and they looked adorable. I wanted to look nice seeing as I was going to meet someone. Just in case this someone was Mister dark and mysterious, I wanted to please his eyes somehow, and I could not guess what anyone's standards are. When I had finally left to go hunt for this address, I noticed the building had gigantic windows. Better view, I guess. As I walked in, I saw a man; he was old and sitting at a mahogany tea table. He was looking down at the people walking by. He looked exactly like the man that had played with me in the games, sure we never talked, but I had watched him every now and again.

"Pardon me, sir?" He turned to look at me as he set his cup down. He smiled widely, which lit up his entire face.

"You came." His voice sounded like every elderly person when they spoke as if they were struggling to form words. I thought of aging as growing up, and then returning to how we were born. Naked, crappy diapers and the inability to do much for themselves. I had a soft spot for the nicer elderly people. I hope to be like them someday to have children get excited to see you. How joyous.

"Of course, I had nothing planned anytime soon. What is it you wanted me for that called for it to be delivered by a shady man posing as a deal maker?" I laughed along with him, he gestured for me to sit down, offered me some tea and a biscuit. I gladly excepted the sweet tea and delightful treat. To my dismay, he began the conversation with a grim topic.

"I have a tumour that is growing. The doctor said I'll be lucky to make it to the end of next year." Oh wow, ok, how do I respond? I couldn't do much for him, did he want me to hold his hand on his death bed? A little weird as we really don't know each other. Maybe he didn't have grandchildren or did but they didn't care.

Death was a sad thing. Eternal darkness, alone, maybe if it was like sleep you could dream in your family, friends, lovers. But that isn't the real thing, is it? It's sad when a person close to you goes. Randoms don't affect you unless you think into it more than you usually would. Such a complicated thing.

"If you want, I could stay by your side until then?" He smiled at me again, but that wasn't what he wanted. It was all I could offer.

"That would be a lovely thought, But I want to make a request. You are a bright young lady. I watched you go through the games. And I realised you were more interested in the games than the money." He paused, shaking to grab another pastry treat. "I came up with the games to bring entertainment and meaning to my life. Nothing could fill the hole I had, I had too much money to know what to do with. I no longer needed or wanted anything." I can both understand and not at the same time. I have so many things I could possibly want to try but none of that could make me feel whole.

"I want you to take over my position, you have the creativity and the passion. You have the most important thing humanity has been struggling to hold: Kindness. " He patted his chest over his heart, he was a very fragile-looking man. "You thrive in environments such as the one I created. You cared for those who returned that care and you didn't let their death drive you to mass violence" I don't think so, I promised myself the first thing I would do was revenge but my hate died down, it never left. Always there. But it was quieter than before. Reflecting on myself I had a crazy side, one where I should be in a mental hospital for. That wasn't all, I had to think of my brother, I couldn't just abandon Dal, we worked so hard to get where we are and to just leave him like mama and daddy did would kill him.

"I would love to but...my brother, he's important to me." I really didn't want to miss this but it would be cruel. Maybe I could convince him to come with me or let me go. I don't want him to worry about me too much. What if he doesn't take it well? He's strong, but not that strong.

"I'm not preventing you from seeing him, you can talk and see him as much as you like." he held my hands from over the small circular table, rubbing his wrinkly thumb over the pads of my own. I let out a sigh, listening to my own worries as I try to calm the fire in my chest.

The old man looked as happy as ever even if I looked like I were to say no. Whatever blissful memory he set himself in, it made me feel no worry to my eventual end.

I had looked to the window and I noted the beautiful sight, flowers of all colours sat in the gardens in organised and unorganised patterns,  one could room around and dance in it for hours.

Lush green grass covered the land next to the pathways, trees blew their leaves, green, yellow and red on the wind as birds sat and nested in them. How harmonic. Nature was a moments song of its own.

"I'll talk it over with Dal, to let him know where I'll be" I nodded at him, and he squeezed my hands lightly.

"So is that a yes?"
I hummed, not entirely sure what to do.
"Hmm, maybe."

---------------------------------

(1015 words) edited
I struggled to get to 1000 words in this, hope you like the double chap update