Chapter 20. A few drinks are not enough.

"How do you mean?" I questioned.

"I mean, you realized it was a game that risked death and continued, anyway. I haven't seen anyone make it across quite as fast."
I felt both flattered and suspicious. I knocked down his words of praise out of instinct. A crush is a crush, but I don't want to end up like before.

"Are you a lightweight? From what I remember, Sir, you didn't want me to just space out a few hours ago." I put emphasis on the 'sir', just to see his reaction. His dark chocolate eyes rolled mockingly. I laughed at him, knowing I'm not only pushing his buttons, I'm threatening to mash them.

"Just watch." He waved his hand in front of my face. His frown turned into a smirk while sipping on his drink.

I went back to laying down on the couch arm. My legs from my thigh hung off the end and my elbow rested behind the front man's shoulder. I'm sure my leg would get pins and needles soon.

It was interesting to see how many people quickly caught on and didn't let fear take their life. Their flinches when the blood splatters at their feet or worse their face. I gagged in remembrance of the strong disgusting iron flavour. I shivered at the memory.

As sweet as I come off I have to admit; I laughed when I saw how people dove over the line, huffing and puffing as if they ran a marathon. The ones that knew they were spotted and then tried to run were the funniest. Even Frontman had a few giggles.

The smooth jazz set a mood for this, one I couldn't properly describe. It helped with the excited anticipation the game brought. Calming the need to run for some reason. The music had found its way into my head and left a trail of tingles down my legs. I felt so much in bliss, and yet something inside was wrong. I wanted to scream shout and make a scene but there was no reason to.

I sighed and stood up, the arm of the chair wasn't comfortable for long periods of time. I almost fell over when my attempt to stretch failed. I'm not a lightweight drinker, but I guess after not having anything in a while it hits a little harder than I would have expected. Those are the best times, aren't they?

He turned to look at me, his lips pressed together to suppress a grin.

"Ass" was all I could come up with. I set my half-filled cup on a side table and leaned up against the back of the chair. Awkward but I'll move when my shoulders numb.

"We're going to have to go check in on security in a short while."
My face scrunched, great Ima messes something up, or knock something over. And it's my first day. I was preparing myself for the future embarrassment coming.

"Hey, you chose to have so many. Don't look at me because you made a mistake." I lightly hit the back of his head causing him to laugh some.

"What am I here for?" I had to ask, I didn't want to just sit here and be in the way. Although this was really nice, I could never dream of all the treatment and respect but I wanted to help. I felt useless. He hummed taking the last sip from his glass and setting it down.

"Hmm?"

"So far, I've followed you around and such, nothing else" I still didn't know his name and I had already spilled how my emotions got the better of me. I'm an idiot. I shouldn't be so negative, I'm here for a reason. I have to be. Why else would the old man ask me here?

"That happens, there isn't much else to do other than watch and guide."

"Can I not do more?" This sucked bad.

"Not really, no" This had to be the single worst response I've heard in a while. I didn't want to waste days, but I guess I didn't have a choice. I'll make my fun somehow. He got up from what looked to be the most comfortable couch and placed his mask back on. I did the same taking and releasing a heavy breath.

"Quick question before we leave" I pulled on the fabric on his forearm. "What do I call you? I feel like calling you just frontman is a little awkward."
The blank face made me nervous, worse yet he could probably tell my awkwardness from whatever facial expression the LEDs chose.

"Sir, in front of people, formality is important." He turned back to the door, I felt a little upset with being blocked like that. "And in private...In-ho"

His emotions were hard to understand. One minute he's relaxed and calm but when he puts that mask on he cuts himself off from everyone. Should I do the same? Maybe it could help my survival here. "I shall call you the same, Hostess in front of everyone" Nodding he turned around and continued. 

I followed him out to the security office or whatever you want to call it. I think I'm getting an idea of where everything is at this point. It was easy when you walked down these halls a few times. I mean, I would have to at some point.

The cameras had changed from the game room to the main room. Just like my lot, they sat down. Some on the floor and others on the first or second-level beds. I think a few more had survived than the nincompoops in my group.

I watched as the exact same speech was given to them just as the workers had to for us or me if we want to be technical. Do they do anything to spice up these games or what? I walked over the photos looking at each face, there were areas just blacked out. The idea was pretty cool. The frontman seemed to just stand there observing everything from one angle, I preferred to move around (1) looking at every detail. I couldn't help it, so much to learn! I was looking over the faces that survived, pretty much dancing over them.

198, 199, 200, 201...222

"You son of a bitch"

---------

(1032 words)edited

(1) depending on what it is I can't standstill. if I'm too bored or excited I need to find something to do to entertain or calm myself. I'm hoping others have that same issue

I really do hope everyone has had a great week and if not it's ok, I'm with you. take some deep breaths read relax and dream a little dream of me- I mean in-ho