Chapter Twenty

Just as Carina managed to get Maya settled off to sleep, she heard her phone ringing from the kitchen. She decided to ignore it, if it was that important they would keep ringing. She closed her eyes and snuggled back into Maya until it rang again.

The doctor managed to peel her body away from the blonde and made her way out of the room trying to be as quiet as possible. Maya was a light sleeper, a pin drop would wake her.

Carina picked up her phone and noticed six missed calls from the hospital. She was about to call back when it rang again.

"Dr DeLuca" the Italian answered.

"DeLuca thank god!"

"Chief Bailey? Is everything alright?"

"We need you to come in, there's been an accident, it's all hands on deck"

"Chief, Maya's father died not even three hours ago, I can't-"

"Ben told me what happened, I am so sorry for her loss I really am but Carina please, we need you. A minibus full of pregnant woman crashed into a truck"

"Okay okay" Carina sighed "I will be there as soon as I can"

"Thank you DeLuca, please hurry"

Carina hung up her phone and let out a deep sigh. She couldn't leave Maya, she didn't want to leave her right now but she had no other option.

She quickly called Andy.

"Andy, you need to come home"

"Why what's happened?" Andy asked panicked.

"I've been called to the hospital, a minibus crash full of pregnant woman. I need you to come and stay with Maya"

"Okay okay, I'll be there in 10"

Carina quietly made her way back into Maya's bedroom and borrowed some of her clothes. She carefully kissed the sleeping fire Captain and left the room. The Italian made herself a quick coffee and paced the living room until Andy got there.

"I'm here I'm here" Andy shouted as she walked in.

"Shhh, she's sleeping" Carina whisper shouted.

"Oh shit sorry. Is she in bed?"

Carina nodded "I have to go but please look after her, she beat Jack earlier and I don't know how she will be when she wakes up"

"It's okay, go go, I got her" Andy smiled reassuringly.

The doctor quickly left the apartment and ran to her car.

She finally arrived at the hospital fifteen minutes later.

"Bailey I'm here" Carina shouted as she entered the ER.

"You're needed everywhere, pick and choose. Wilson and Karev are also here somewhere"

"Got it" Carina rushed to the first person that called her name.

Several long hours later and most of the woman were safe and cleared to go home. Carina had an emergency C-Section on one patient who's baby was only 28 weeks. She managed to save the baby and the mother, although the baby would need to stay in the nicu for a few more weeks.

"Carina, come and get some coffee. You look exhausted" Jo smiled grabbing Carina's arm. They walked out to the coffee cart bumping into Andrew on the way. They took a seat on the bench on the green.

"I heard about Maya, is she okay?" Jo asked worried.

Carina shrugged "I don't know, they didn't have the best relationship. He hurt her in more ways than I can possibly explain"