Chapter Seventy

Slowly Carina was getting better. It had been three weeks since they both came home from the hospital. Maya could now leave the room for a few minutes and Carina wouldn't freak out because she couldn't see her.

It was a struggle but they were getting there slowly. Andy mentioned to Maya about Carina going to see Diane, she shrugged it off but after a few days of thinking she decided maybe she should suggest it to Carina.

As always Maya was awake first, she carefully got out of bed and changed into her gym clothes before jumping on the treadmill.

Carina liked her sleep so morning runs were Maya's only option. After two hours of constant running Maya slowed down the speed before stopping completely.

"Hey Maya" Andy groaned as crawled through the front door after her 24 hour shift.

"Morning Hererra"

Andy slowly poured herself a coffee as she let out yawns. "How's it going? With Carina and the investigation"

Maya let out a deep breath, "Carina's still sleeping but at least she is sleeping I guess..." she ran her hands over her face and let out a groan, "And I have to go and meet Dixon later today. Are you okay to stay with Carina? I know Andrew will be here but could you stay too?"

"No problem" Andy smiled, she paced the kitchen a little whilst tapping on her mug.

"What is it?" Maya asked suspiciously, "You're pacing... and you're tapping"

Andy sucked some air through her teeth, "So uh... Dixon was at the station earlier, I was in your office and he barged in like usual"

Maya placed her bottle of water on the counter a little too aggressively and stared at Andy, "What did he say? What did he want?"

"His usual snarky comments and to discuss you"

"What?" Maya snapped, "What do you mean discuss me?"

"He came in and demanded information, your ability to do your job, whether or not you're an appropriate Captain and..." Andy paused.

"And what?"

"Your replacement..." Andy said quietly.

"My-my what?"

"Yeah" Andy sighed, "I don't know why he demanded information from me, he knows we're best friends, he knows we live together. It's not like going going to talk shit about you... the team would never talk shit..."

Maya looked at her with raised eyebrows, "Would never huh?"

"Okay okay" Andy laughed a little, "When you first became captain, yes we did.... But we would never do it now. You're a great captain Maya, you're one of the best this stations ever had"

Maya took a big swig of her water, "What did he say? About replacing me?"

Andy let out a little breath, "He... he already has someone to cover you"

"What? Who?"

"It's-"

Maya's bedroom door slowly opened and a very tired looking Carina emerged. Maya's face changed to a smile and held her hands out for Carina, "Hey baby"

Carina slowly walked over to Maya and laid her head on her shoulder. "Good morning" the little blonde whispered and kissed her fiancées temple.

"I'm so tired" Carina mumbled and sighed.

Maya wrapped her arms around Carina and gave her a little squeeze, "I need to shower, I'll join you back in bed once I'm done?"

Carina's hands moved down Maya's waist and landed on her butt. She gave it a little squeeze and kissed Maya's neck softly, "I'm coming to shower"