Chapter Thirty-Seven

"Mason?"

"Uh- Hi Maya" he said nervously.

The rest of the team jumped into the car, Carina on the other hand didn't know whether to stay or go. She reached out and held onto Maya's hand giving it a tight squeeze. Maya didn't do anything so Carina stayed standing behind her, one hand on her lower back, the other locked onto her hand.

"So you showed? I didn't see you in there" Maya looked at him with a face full of confusion.

"Uh, no, I mean I was there, we were there" he said pointing to a dark haired woman far behind him "Just watching from a far I guess" he shrugged.

"Right" Maya nodded.

They stood in an awkward silence for a minute.

"Uh that's Amber, my fiancée" he said nervously gesturing to the dark hair woman again.

"Your fiancée? I didn't know you were engaged"

He let out a deep breath, "Yeah I got clean, cleaned myself up, I have a good job now and we've just bought a house" he said with a slight proud look on his face.

"You look healthy" Maya commented.

"Clean for two years"

"Wow, uh, well done" she smiled slightly.

"Look I know we haven't seen each other since that day... the day I got arrested but... I know Dad did things, I know he didn't treat us right and I'm trying very fucking hard not to be him. So can we maybe catch up sometime?"

"Uh, I guess so yeah" Maya shrugged.

"I'm sorry" he sighed, "I shouldn't have spoken to you the way I did on the phone when you called. I hadn't spoke to you in years, I was in shock because of that, I was in shock because of the news you told me"

Carina moved her hand from her lower back to her waist, pulling her in slightly. Maya looked up to her, Carina knew Maya was going to be an emotional wreck after today, her eyes looked so sad.

"I take it this is your girlfriend?" He asked.

"Uh, ye-yeah" Maya stuttered.

"Doctor Carina DeLuca" the Italian smiled.

"Oh so you're a doctor... that's cool"

Maya didn't say anything, she leaned back into Carina, resting her head on her boobs.

"So I'll call you?" He suggested "I gotta run, but it was nice seeing you Maya"

"Uh, sure yeah, Bye"

As soon as Mason turned his back, Maya turned around and fell face first into Carina. The Italian ran her fingers through the blondes hair. "Are you okay bambina?"

Maya shook her head for no, Carina lifted her chin, her blue eyes now blood shot, "Come on, I'll take you back".

Maya wrapped her arms around the Italian tightly, trying her hardest not to cry. After a few minutes Maya finally pulled away and walked to the car.

Once back at the station, Maya and Carina undress in her office, Carina wearing hoodie and joggers, Maya wearing a sports bra and shorts.

"Maya?" Carina asked softy.

"Hmm?" The captain hummed turning to face her girlfriend.

"Do you want to talk to me?" The Italian walked over to the captain and held onto her hands tightly.

Maya dipped her head, "Not right now, I want to run, I'm going to the gym"

"Okay but can you look at me a second please?"