Chapter Forty-One

Everyone had dried off and changed into more comfortable clothing, Carina wearing Maya's station zip up and a pair of leggings whilst the fire Captain was wearing a pair of tight grey joggers and Carina's Grey Sloan hoodie.

Dean and Jack had taken over the BBQ. As it was a regular camping spot, there was a BBQ made out of bricks up off the floor with a nice grill on top.

Andy, Vic and Travis were watching the fire, making sure everything was okay. Two buckets of water at arms reach in case anything did happen.

It was now reaching around 7pm, the sun was setting over the lake, a golden glow shone on the camp site.

Maya was handing out beers to everyone, Joey tried his luck in taking one, "Uh uh Joey, you're not old enough" Maya laughed.

"I'm 18, can I just have one? I bet you drank at my age" the young boy begged.

"Actually, I didn't, I was on a strict diet, no sugar, no carbs and definitely no alcohol"

"Oh sorry, that must have sucked but please? Can I have one?"

"Ask your father" Maya nodded pointing at Ben.

Joey looked over to Ben, "Ben can I have a bottle? Please"

Ben let out a little sigh, "You can have one, but do not tell Miranda! I'd rather you try these things when there are people around you to keep you safe and look after you"

"Thank you" he smiled happily at Ben.

"I'm going to look away and you're going to take it off me without my realising okay? I did not give this to you" Maya warned.

"Absolutely cap, I picked it up myself" he smiled giving her a head nod. Maya looked away and Joey slipped the beer bottle from between her fingers.

"Make sure you get some food in you" the fire Captain glared.

"I will, I will" he promised.

Maya handed everyone around the fire a drink, before making her way over to the bbq boys.

"Beers gents" Maya smiled handing them both a bottle. Carina kept a close eye on Jack, she watched his every move.

She watched as Maya laughed with them, how she looked at Jack. She should be happy that they can work together, after everything he did to her. She still wasn't happy that Jack knew about her anxiety after her father died before Maya told her, but under the circumstances she let it slide.

Maya noticed Carina staring at her and made her way back over sitting on the large log next to her.

"Hey beautiful" Maya smiled and wrapped her arm around Carina's waist. "Are you okay?"

Carina nodded and placed her hand on Maya's knee, "Yeah I'm fine bambina"

"Sorry babe, I only brought beer"

Carina squeezed Maya's knee softy, "It's okay, I like beer, I don't drink it often but I do like it"

Maya laid her head on Carina's shoulder taking in her perfume, they both slowly sipped on their beers. Maya held her up for Carina to cheers hers, Carina happily did.

Maya lifted her head up and looked at the gorgeous hazel eyes staring back at her, the flames from the fire reflecting in her eyes.

"I'm so glad you came baby" Maya whispered, "I wouldn't want to be here without you"

"I'm glad I came bambina" Carina smiled, she leaned down and placed a soft kiss to Maya's lips "I love you"

"I love you to my girl" Maya placed her hand on Carina's cheek, pulling her in for a closer longer kiss.