Chapter Twenty-Four

The next few days were weird for the blonde fire Captain, Carina had been stuck at the hospital ever since Frankie returned to his father.

Work felt difficult for Maya, every call she went on since her father died gave her crippling anxiety, she felt her body getting worked up into almost having panic attacks. She tried to brush it off but it was really starting to affect her life and with not seeing Carina for so long made her heart ache more.

Maya was sat in her office doing her again more paperwork when there was a quiet knock on the door.

"Yeah?" She called out.

"Hey cap" Jack smiled.

"Gibson" Maya returned the smile.

"I was just checking in, see how you're doing?" He handed the captain a hot cup of coffee.

"Thank you" she gestured for Jack to sit opposite her. She took a sip of her coffee "Hmmm... this is good"

"Thank you" Jack laughed "I'd like to think I'm a good barista"

"Not as good as my Italian though" Maya winked.

"I'm happy for you Maya"

"You are?" Maya questioned.

"Yeah, I mean I won't lie to you and tell you that it didn't hurt seeing how happy you are with her but I am glad that you found your person"

"I'm sorry Jack" Maya sighed. "I'm sorry for a lot of things"

"It's okay Maya, I know you're not a mean person, in fact you're one of the most loving people I know... you just have your own way of showing it" he laughed "And you can throw a good punch"

"Hey you asked to be punched!" Maya laughed defending herself.

"I did yeah, I did" Jack chuckled "But I meant what I said"

"Which time?"

"You're allowed to have feelings Maya and I will always be here if you need me"

Maya dropped her head slightly before smiling up at the lieutenant "Thank you" she whispered.

"No problem" Jack gave her a loving look.

"But now enough with the sloppy stuff, get everyone in the barn, I see Andy has been slacking on the fitness side of things"

"Oh god, the team are going to love you" Jack said dramatically before leaving the captain alone in her office.

Maya finished up her coffee then left her office to meet the team in the barn.

"19 line up!" The captain ordered. The team quickly lined up against the engines.

"I see that in my absence Lieutenant Herrera has been rather kind to you all so today whilst it's quiet we're are going to run some drills!" Maya sent Andy a cheeky smile.

There was a choir of groans and moans.

"Enough with the groans team, in a month you have only done 3 drill sessions, that will most definitely change now that I'm back!"

"I regret what I said Herrera, you're less grouchy than this one" Travis whispered to Andy.

"Montgomery" Maya shouted.

"Oh god" he mumbled under his breath.

"Why don't you start, 50 push ups!"

"Yes captain" Travis moved over and started.

"Teams of two! I want 50 push ups and 50 sit ups. Rotate that twice! Now move 19!"

The team quickly found themselves a partner and started their work out. Maya paced between them all making sure no one was slacking.