Part 28

Severus and Lucius just sighed as they stared at Draco's retreating body. He had evidently had enough with arguing with them and had taken to going up the stairs. They really did not know what to do. They were legitimately concerned. If a teacher was now realizing that Draco was likely about to present, it was more than likely that he truly was. Professors have a knack for knowing that sort of thing. As much as they may hate to say it, they were quite worried. They had also thought about the possibility more than once, but the had hesitated to really say he was about to present.

"At least we know he will almost for certain be a veela." Severus sighed out.

"True, he has the calm, collected demeanor." Lucius admitted. "That combined with the way he holds himself, and how he manages the chaos around him, it really should not be too much of a guess. It would be more surprised if he does not turn out to present as one. He may have a secondary, considering our blood line, but his primary should be exactly that."

"Secondary? What do you think he would present secondary?"

"Well we all know I am an Alpha Veela, while secondaries are common among first bornes and heirs, of which he is neither, it would not really shock me if he had one." Lucius dared to admit, even if it smite him. Severus seemed quite curious as to the nature of events regarding that. If it was not common, well he wanted to know why it was that Lucius seemed so certain. The curiosity burned through him.

"Why do you say that, if it was not as common?" Severus questioned. Lucius hummed, trying to think of how to word himself. It was rather hard to explain, after all it was more like a feeling. Something that he was sure would happen, but that he just could not put a name to any evidence to suggest that it truly would. It was not all that common that second born or further children inherited the secondary traits of their bloodline. The black traits of Animals, and the Malfoy traits of Veela, they were both inherited by him, but he was a first born and an heir. Draco...well, he was their second born, ideally he should only have one of the two, either the Wolf traits, or the Veela traits, but something about him...it led Lucius to conclude that, though not common, Draco would have both traits, just perhaps in a unique combination.

He did not know if that meant that he was just not good enough as an Heir that the Fates decided to mess with him and give them a potential second one, or what the case may be, what he did know was that he knew that it would suit Draco well. At least, with some more training. The boy was too quiet and timid currently for the position, but there were flashes of moments when he could see what promised to be a true Heir shine through. He had to figure that he had been honed. The boy knew how to act, he knew what to say, he knew how to handle rather complex situations, but with some he was horribly soft and timid. Such as with Tom Riddle, though Lucius could not fault him for that. Anyone who had their head on right, and even some who did not, were not stupid enough to go against Tom Marvolo Riddle.

Which brought Lucius another strand of thinking. He recalled the way that Tom had ordered them to keep him posted on information about Draco, and he knew that Draco kept a stream of conversation with Tom as well, though he did not know how continuous it was, nor the sort of information that was shared with the Riddle boy. What he did know, was that if anyone could help them convince Draco, it would be Riddle. Lucius had not seen anyone get to Draco as Riddle had, and vice versa. He knew that Riddle would definitely be a contender for a courtship when Draco finally presented. He could not put his finger on whether Riddle would actually be approved by Draco, and he knew that they would likely get some pushback from their father, which Lucius would handle if he had to.

"Severus, if you could get me some parchment and a quill." Lucius muttered softly. The Slytherin in questioned narrowed his eyes at Lucius, but still went to do as asked, dropping it on the table before the Malfoy and sitting down with a huff.

"What are you doing?" He asked the other after watching him write what seemed to be a letter, though Lucius hid the contents enough that he was not really able to get the jest of what he was saying in it.

"Writing a letter to our Lord." He said quietly. Severus jerked a bit in shock, turning to look at Lucius. It was not unknown that Lucius was not fond of addressing Tom as lord, nor was he too fond of going to him for help. Something which caused Tom endless amusement when it did actually happen. Lucius was far more prideful, and so such things, where Severus did not see a problem, Lucius tended to avoid. It was not necessarily a bad thing, persay, but it was something that was easily picked up.

"And why, pray tell, is that?"

"The only person who could get Draco to agree to submit himself for an evaluation to the school nurse, and then to Father should it be necessary, as much as I hate to admit it, would be Tom." He said with a sigh. "Furthermore, we need to make reports monthly, and I have yet to send mine in."

Yet another indication that he disliked the job that they were tasked with. While Severus submitted weekly reports, Lucius only did so once a month, which was about as little as he would get away with outside of insulting Tom and getting cursed for it. Severus had to admit though, he was glad that they had finally turned to Tom. He knew that Draco had a bit of an infatuation with the Dark Lord, which was not entirely shocking, but Tom also had a way with words that Lucius did not necessarily have, and that Severus did not care to cultivate.

Tom and Draco were very similar to each other...in many ways.