34

The Nurse's words did not worry Lucius or Severus very much considering they had seen some signs prior. They had figured that the boy would have been presenting soon. The headaches, the lack of emotional control he seemed to have had lately, there was just so much to hint to it. He had been getting a little bit more impuslive, his headaches had been happening, although he had taken great pains to hide such things from the two Slytherins, well they were not slytherins for nothing, they had noticed. It was rather hard not to notice, actually. Considering the amount of attention that Draco had on him at any given moment, it was hard to realize but, many had begun to notice that there was something going on with the youngest Malfoy. They had not brought it up, of course, but they had definitely noticed.

Draco was something of the Slytherin baby. They had been taking great pains to watch him, and this was done mostly to ensure that he was alright, and doing well. Lucius and Severus had been ordered by the Dark Lord to take great care that Draco was well protected, and they most certainly took that seriously, though they would have done such a thing either way. It was hard for anyone outside of the Slytherin company to really talk to Draco, and those who tried hard enough were definitely up to no good, like those blasted Potters and their stupid friends.

Lucius and Severus had been keeping a close eye on that stupid club that he had been going to, considering he had always come back to it irate, and frustrated, it was something that tended to happen in the Potter gang presence. Neither one of them could really fault anyone for getting annoyed and upset about it. It was understandable that Draco would be agitated when it came to having to deal with them continually for any period of time, but the headaches had been getting more and more frequent, something which they had been quite worried about, but knew that Draco would shrug off. They had even mentioned it, or at least, Severus had, in his reports to the Dark Lord about Draco.

"What is going on?" The Headmaster wondered idly, strolling through the door into the room. Tom tensed slightly, but otherwise did not look at him, keeping his attention still on Draco, who had woken at the sound of the headmaster, his eyes glowing faintly. Lucius jolted a bit at that, recognizing the creature. Lucius did not say anything, deciding to let Madam Pomfrey handle Dumbledore. He did not have patience for the old man today, although on a general day his patience for their incompetent headmaster was very little as a general rule. Now though? He had plenty enough to deal with. His little brother was presenting, he had practically served him up to Tom Riddle on a metal platter, and he had a very protective Tom Riddle on his hands.

Though, he supposed that really only made the situation all the more real to him. Tom Riddle was not protective of almost anyone. Well, barring himself of course. On the small instances that he was, it was less protectiveness for the sake of care and more for the future of an investment. Tom Riddle did not tend to care for anyone, this was a first for Lucius to see, and for Severus as well he was sure. He did not comment on it, not feeling the need to, and not wanting to now that the Headmaster was in the area. It was dangerous for the Headmaster to know certain things.

He turned towards Tom and Draco. Draco had now curled his form up next to Tom's his arm wrapped twice over Tom's own, nails digging into the flesh. Lucius winced at that, it had to be painful, but Tom was not so much as hinting towards the fact that he even felt anything. It almost made Lucius want to roll his eyes. He did not dare, though and merely glanced back towards were Pomfrey and Dumbledore were muttering under their breath instead, before pulling Severus closer to Tom and Draco so that they could have a more private discussion before his father came to see them.

"What are we going to tell my father about your presence, my Lord?" Lucius questioned. Tom hummed, tilting his head to the side as though he was contemplating what should be done. Or it could be one of those amused looks that Tom gave when the answer was obvious and everyone was clueless as to what should be done, when he already knew what was going to happen. Lucius would bet more that it was the latter than the former. He did not know how, but he knew...And was proven quite correct as it were.

"I thought that would be obvious. Just say that I was summoned in order to aid Draco in his transition."

"Okay, but how are we going to explain that?" Lucius pressed seriously. "It is not as though it is easily explained as to why it was that Draco even knew of you in the first place, let alone how you came into contact with him." Tom hummed under his breath, contemplating this for but a moment.

"Then say that I was on business and one of the Slytherins came to get me."

"Who?"

"Easy," Tom said with a shrug of a shoulder. "You and Severus of course." Tom held up a hand as he stopped the undoubtable protests that were about to be uttered. "And before you get any sort of ideas, the rest of the Slytherins will go along with it, as everyone did see you summon someone to find me." Tom gave the two a wry look. "Just leave certain details out. I am sure that you can manage that." Lucius bristled but Severus easily calmed him with a gentle hand on his shoulder and a slightly warning squeeze of his nails. It would not do to anger or upset Tom Riddle, ever, but especially with Draco draped on him.

"Father will question..."

"Just tell him that you trusted my ability. I was the most promised student but a year ago, I am sure he will understand the logic. Barring that, he full well knows that we know each other, and that you and Severus both are in contact with me. It is not nearly as much of a reach as you may think." Lucius did not want to admit it, but Tom had a point. His father did know that the three of them were close, and it would make sense for Lucius to ask someone he knew and was close to to help with the situation.

"Fine, it is a good idea." Lucius grit out, his brows pointed in displeasure. Tom smirked and scoffed a bit at the tone but did not say anything more as Draco's eyes suddenly flew open, an open hiss leaving his tongue.