22. the reason why.

Sierra

Sierra

"Now, what took you guys so long?" I ask, narrowing my eyes teasingly at the boys. They finally came to the cars even though we were here for 25 minutes.

Kaydon looks oddly stiff and quiet so I'll try and talk to him later. Ty and Blake just roll their eyes, stuffing their things into our car.

"Hey! Put your things into your own car." Parker tried to grab the towels they shoved in the car and Blake stops her.

"Ty and I are going to ride with you two." he winks and Parker groans, slapping her forehead. Cameron looks at me with a suspicious look but I shrug it off.

Maybe they want to annoy the girls with their Barbie playlist on Spotify.

"Alright then, I'll ride with Kaydon." I say, walking over to his car. We all wave goodbye and got into our designated vehicle. Ty says that we can come over to his house to sleep over for the night.

His dad and his girlfriend always welcomed us and his brother Travis is adorable. Him and my baby sister Leah are besties, I call it.

I buckle my seat belt and Kaydon immediately hands me the AUX cord. I quietly thank him and started playing some Frank Ocean.

The car is awkwardly silent. He just stares out for the road with one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the center console. I just play around with my fingers and the necklace around my neck.

"How would you rate our volleyball round?" I ask, filling in the silence. "I mean, remember we beat you by a ton of points."

He chuckles, "It was fun." That was all he said. Just those three words and he clamped his mouth shut. He exhales deeply and I turn to him in my seat.

"Is everything okay?"

He gives me a quick glance before focusing back on the road. Kaydon lets out a sigh and grabs my hand with his free one to fidget with the letter 'S' ring I had on my middle finger.

I give his hand a squeeze. "You can talk to me, Kay."

"Let's talk." he says and I try to think of something to talk to him about. I look out the window and see the stars in the navy blue sky.

I immediately spot a Target and think back to the time where Parker's parents took us to Target and we lost Blake for a good hour until we found him in the food section eating cookie dough.

"Do you remember the time Blake ate a whole tub of cookie dough at Target?" I hear him laugh and he lets go of my hand and my hand misses that warmth.

"I do," he nods and turns to me. "I remember he threw up on your favorite shoes in the car and you were crying. He felt so bad so he drew you new shows."

I'm surprised by his quick memory. I barely remember the drawing Blake made and I'm pretty sure it was lopsided and very colorful. I pat him on the arm and pointed out to the road.