Break Your Little Heart

Marina's POV:

We were back in Baltimore, and my wedding was in two days. Two. I was panicking to no end. So many things that could go wrong, and so many to freak about. Kianna could randomly have her baby during my ceremony. Alex could forget his vows. Meanwhile, we were still in a bidding war for the house. Alex was currently managing it, since he didn't want me to have to worry about yet another thing.

Today I was checking over my guest list. It was spread out on the coffee table, and had names listed. I colored coded what tables they would sit at as well.

Suddenly, my phone rang. It was dad's cell. He must be at the airport, ready for me to pick him up. It seemed early, but I wasn't sure what time it was.

"Hello?"

"Marina, we've got a problem." My dad said.

I assumed his plane was late, or something small. "It's okay if you're late getting in, daddy. You do what you need to do."

"Marina, it's a lot bigger than that." He said in a serious tone.

"What's going on?" I set down my pen.

"Memere broke her hip."

"What? How the fuck did that happen?" I blurted out.

"She fell of the ledge of the driveway." That drop was four feet. "She'll be fine, and she'll be able to walk normally again, but not in two days."

"I'll postpone the wedding. Daddy, you have to be here!" I started crying.

"Honey, don't do that. The other 298 people you invited can't wait that long. You're a strong enough person on your own; you don't need to be given away." He tried to calm me.

"But, but, Daddy!" I cried even harder.

"Sweetheart, I have to talk to the doctor right now. You're gonna be okay. Memere is gonna be okay. We will survive."

"I love you." I said.

"I love you too. Bye." He hung up.

I started to panic. I needed someone to give me away because it would mess up the scheduel and seating and everything. I had to think, and fast.

My brother wasn't here, so he couldn't do it. Whoever was to do it needed to be here so I could call them up right now, bring them to the venue, and show them what to do. There was no better option than to look into the boom directly in front of me. The first name I saw was Hoppus. Mark. And it clicked.

I called him up. "Marina, what's happening?"

"Hi, Mark, I was wondering if you could do me a gigantic favor. Like, monumentally big." I replied.

"What's up?"

"Will you give me away?"

He was silent for a moment. "I mean, yeah, of course. When do you need me?"

"Can you drive to the venue right away?" I begged.

"Sure thing. I'll be right there."

_________________________

I got home from that, then a meeting with Lisa for final plans, and lastly a final dinner with the girls. We decided on no party because 3/4 of us were pregnant, and the other 1/4 was getting married the next morning. Married. The word terrified me.

I was merely 21. Alex, he was 27. He had his house for years. He had a perfectly sustainable career. He was so ready. Me, I wasn't an adult. I was just a college aged kid with a lot of guts. I stood on the pourch steps, in the drizzling rain, unable to move. The longer at stared at that door, the more I doubted my future. It marked the metaphoric door to the rest of my life that I was suddenly so hesitant to enter.

But then the door opened. Behind it was this angel. "Marina, what are you doing?" He laughed.

"I'm having a mental breakdown." I said in a dead voice.

He lost his smile, although I wasn't look at him. My eyes were still glued to that door. "Baby, how about you at least come inside before we discuss this."

"But that's the problem. That door leads to my entire future. That door is my life." My voice was still emotionless.

"Hey," He came closer to me and crouched down. "The door means absolutely nothing. The rest of your life happens as each second passes, and there is no monumental moment that happens that signifies the rest of your life."

His kind voice touched my ears enough to earn my gaze. "Okay." I spoke quietly.

"Okay." He broke a smile. "But my dinner is going to burn if you don't come in with me."

I cracked a giggle and joined him inside. I still couldn't breathe. The world felt as though it was going too fast. I collapsed in a chair at the table. He sensed this.

He brought two plates over to the table, as well as a bowl and a spoon. He already set the silverware. "I made a light dinner. Just some angel hair pasta with shrimp and sauce. I hope that's alright. I didn't want anything that would get us gassy."

"You are an absolute saint. Only you would think of something clever like that." I managed to finally smile.

"No, only you would. I've been trained." He scooped himself a hefty plate.

"Did you make a vegetable?" I noticed the lack of one on the table.

"Shit. See, I don't think of everything." He chuckled.

"No problem. I have some salad in the fridge." I stood and got the salad, tongs, our favorite dressing, and some bowls.

"So how was your day?" He asked.

"Overwhelming. How was yours?" I tried to divert the attention from me.

"Really nice. I thought a lot about Tom. That he'll never get to experience this. But I know he would be so proud. Very, very proud." He was caught in a smiling moment, then looked back at me. "I got you something." He got up from the table and ran into our bedroom.

"If you give me anymore jewelry, I'll need another house!" I called.

He came back out with a single sunflower. "I was driving home from hanging out with my dad when I saw this one, bright sunflower growing larger than the rest. And then I realized that it's just like you; it's a little ray of sunshine."

I took it in my small hands and wiped a few incoming tears. "I have no doubts. I love you." I dropped it onto the table and fell into his arms.

He kissed my cheek a million times. "I am the luckiest person alive."

"Other than me." I laughed and cried all at the same time.

*

I know it's short, but I wanted to give you guys an update. It's the little beautiful things. Question: How do you feel that the media and literature effect teen's expectations in relationships? Shoutout to @jalexrae for commenting like mad on Oh, Calamity.

In other news, sexypants and I broke up. It was him problems. We're cuurently trying to see what we can do, I guess. It's really rough and really heart breaking because our relationship dynamic was similar to an old married couple who are still madly in love. It really was perfect.

Anyway, might be a nice while before the next chapter. I have to get the vows absolutely perfect. Aight. I love you. -LoryXD