Noel

Alex's POV:

I woke up, even before the sun started peaking in. I heard movement upstairs, obviously from Memere, who had an appointment this morning. I felt Marina's chest rise and deflate with her every beautiful breath. Everything she did was a work of art, especially the things as mundane as breathing. I shuffled a bit, moving her off of me.

"Mmm, Alley Cat, is it morning yet?" She groaned.

"No, I'm just going to the bathroom." I lied. "Go back to sleep, Big Butt."

"Kay." She barely answered, before flopping on her side and going back to sleep.

I snuck up the stairs, none creaking. This house would sell. I had to move fast. When I got to the quiet upstairs, the guest room door was open. Emily was snoring and hogging all the blankets, while Zack was curled up, cold, on the opposite side. Hazel was wrapped in a blankie, her carmel brown hair poking out through her pink beanie. Why did adults like beanies, anyway? They were a hat originally made for babies. I guess it was the same reason they liked boobs.

I walked passed the living room, where Rian was curled up on the couch. He looked like a potato with his eyes closed. I smelt coffee in the kitchen. Memere was still in her nightgown, robe, and slippers, reading the paper.

"Memere, hey." I sat beside her. "Morning."

"Morning. How did you sleep?" She asked, smiling, setting down the paper.

"Really well. Thanks. There was something I wanted to ask you about." I began.

"Go right ahead." She smiled.

"Well, I was talking to Marina last night, and she was extremely upset. She was bawling her eyes out, and she told me how much this place means to her. That she spent her entire childhood here, and it was and always will be her happy place. And that everyone else loves it here, too." I took a breath. "I'd like to buy it from you."

She sighed. "Alex, this is a very big decision to make in such a short time."

"I know, I know. But hear me out. We could still take care of it. I mean, we have a decent amount of money between the two of us. And when we get a little older, too old to tour, we can convert the office into a recording studio. People would love to rent this house. It's beautiful up here, but not too far from reality." I explained.

"I hate to tell you, but the house got three offers this morning. I don't know if you'll be able to top that." She said, disappointed.

I wouldn't let this get me down. "I'll pay anything. You get the final decision on who buys it, right?" 

"Unfortunately not. The house is already sold to the real estate company, and they choose. Otherwise, I'd give you the house in a heartbeat."

"That's a dumb way to do real estate. What's your agent's number? I'd love to give her or him a call." I replied.

Memere got up and went to the small desk in the corner of the kitchen, then grabbed a pen and paper. "Ask for Alyssa. She doesn't get into the office until ten. Good luck, Alex. I'd really like to see this house in caring hands."

I took the paper. "Oh, it will." I promised, heading out of the room and downstairs, where Marina was facing the wall. 

I went over to her, sitting in bed beside her, but not going under the covers. Her eyes were wide open.

"Hey, Big Butt, why don't we go to the diner for breakfast? I'm sure they have more options than we have here." I said.

She turned around, giving me a grateful smile. "Yeah, that sounds great."