o n e

D A L T O N ' S    P O V

D A L T O N ' S P O V

"Hut, hut...hike!" My teammates yell as I hurriedly grab the ball, running across the field.

I hold the ball close to my chest as I hear many players getting tackled. I look around, noticing defense in front of me and some of my teammates around me. I quickly look to the receiver, watching as he holds his hands open. Taking a quick look around once more, I extend my arms back, tossing the ball in his direction.

I run towards the end goal as everyone else begins to. I hear Coach yell out some words to us that I paid no attention to. My head was deep in the game. I looked up to see the receiver throwing the ball down into the touchdown zone. Loud groans and cheers could be heard across the field as I ran over to the zone.

"Great job, man," I exclaimed, patting him on the shoulder as he took his helmet off.

"Thanks. I swear I was about to ninja kick all those people on my ass." My best friend, Hunter, responded as he ran his hands through his unruly brown hair.

I slung my arm around his shoulder as we walked away towards where everywhere was getting water. I saw my other best friend, Luka, come up on Hunters' other side as he fell into step beside us. I nodded my chin at him as he nodded back, running his thumb over his lip as he seemed to be in deep thought about something.

"Crest! Good job out there." Coach spoke as a wide smile spread across Hunter's face.

"I knew you had a little love in there for me, Coach," Hunter answered, blowing a kiss in his direction as Coach just rolled his eyes.

"Alright, boys, gather up!" He yelled, motioning for everyone to come over as we all circle him.

"So, as you all know, a student's father here is the coach of the LA chargers," Coach mentioned as a picture of the girl from the other day flashed in my mind. Everyone knew who her dad was, however, I just didn't know what her name was.

"Well, anyway, her father is coming to visit next week. He's going to be helping coach a few practices," Coach explained as chatter rose in the group. "That doesn't mean try to befriend his daughter before he gets here. But that does mean be on your best behavior." He spoke, subtly glaring at Hunter.

"I am always on my best behavior. I'm practically the golden child of this team." Hunter boasted, puffing out his chest as everyone laughed at his statement.

"If I catch you goofing off while that coach is here, I will bench you for the next 2 games." Coach sternly replied as I felt Hunter tense up beside me at the mention of being benched.

"And to think we were making progress." He mumbled, crossing his arms over his chest as I quietly chuckled to myself.

"Any questions?" Coach asked although we all knew that if we did have one, he wouldn't listen nor respond to it. "Okay, go shower. You guys smell like dirt and sweat." He spoke, waving us off in the direction of the showers.