f o r t y - t w o

D A L T O N ' S    P O V

I sit in silence as I looked at the occupied hospital bed, the sound of beeping filling my ears.

I've been here nonstop for the last 4 days, waiting for the moment she wakes up and shows me those beautiful brown eyes of hers.

I immediately came rushing down as soon as I got the call that she was in the hospital.

I thought she had stood me up and decided not to meet me at my house, only to find out it was much worse.

If only I had a time machine and could've just came to her.

Then, I would be the one in this mess.

The police have been investigating the whole accident as they believe it wasn't an actual accident.

They found a message on her phone that she had been reading before she crashed but wouldn't tell me what it was because I 'wasn't family'.

Her sister also rushed home from her honeymoon from what I overheard. I caught her yelling at her husband in the hallway the other day.

I walked down the long hall, trying to distract myself from what just happened.

The doctor just explained Aspen's injuries and it was making my head spin. I needed to take a walk before I ended up fainting or some shit.

As I was nearing the corner, I heard the sound of faint whispers as two people had a rather...unsettling conversation.

I know my mom raised me not to eavesdrop but I couldn't help but be curious. I went up to the corner and hid so I could try to hear and see the conversation.

"Livi, please just calm down. I don't want you to be too stressed with the baby." Cole spoke as he tried to grab Livi's hand.

Livi? Isn't that Aspen's sister?

"What the fuck do you mean 'Calm down'?" She spat, snatching her hand away as she glared at him. "I know I'm pregnant but how in the hell do you expect me to be calm when my little sister is in a hospital bed, fighting for her life and I don't know when the hell she's going to wake up?"

I felt my heart pang as I listened to her words. She was right. How were any of us supposed to be calm when we didn't know when Aspen was going to wake up?

Or if she was going to wake up?

I shook my head as I looked at her, admiring her face that was still gorgeous even if it had bruises on it.

I just want my perfect angel to wake up soon.

"Hey, Dalton." I heard someone faintly say as I turned to see Livi at the door.

"Hi." I mumbled, turning back as I kept my eyes on Aspen.

"Don't you wanna go home? I can watch over her for a while. You need to get some sleep." She softly spoke, coming to stand beside me as she placed her hand on the back of my chair.