t h i r t e e n

A S P E N ' S   P O V

"Aspen, come help with dinner," Mom yelled just as I had gotten upstairs and flopped on my bed.

"Do I have to?" I yelled back, hoping I wouldn't have to get up from my comfortable bed.

"Aspen." She yelled in her 'mom' voice, making me groan and get up.

I walked out of my room, my socks padding along the cold marble floors. Leave it to my mom to pick all the fancy stuff for our house.

Livi had been in her room, facetiming her fiancé. From what I overheard, he was almost done at work and just had some paperwork left. He had to finish some stuff for a charity he owns but after that, he was headed here.

I walked down the steps, not looking up as I was texting Rosa and Vita. I could hear pots and pans clattering in the kitchen. The only reason we didn't have a cook was that Mom wanted to still make meals for when me and Livi were kids. Now, we were both barely here so there was no point.

Walking into the kitchen, I slid my phone into my back pocket. She had already started cooking something on the stove, a cutting board, and some vegetables on the island.

"Go ahead and start cutting up those vegetables. Slice not dice." She said, not even turning around.

Well, hello to you too.

I headed over, picking up the knife and beginning to cut the vegetables. We stayed in silence for a moment, the only sound in the kitchen was the clanking of her stirring the food in the pan.

"How has school been?" I heard her say as I turned briefly to see her looking at me over her shoulder.

"It's alright. Midterms are coming up soon." I shrugged, sliding the sliced vegetables into a bowl before moving to take a seat at the island.

"Anything happen recently?" She pressed, making me pause just as I was about to bring back out my phone.

I knew exactly what she was asking. Just by the edge in her tone and her minor glances over her shoulder. She knew I knew what she meant but I wasn't about to give myself away.

"Not really."

"So, what about that boy from earlier?" She mentioned, causing me to mentally facepalm as I had forgotten about that.

"We just happened to leave at the same time. Nothing more, just a coincidence." I spoke, thinking I heard the door open before I shrugged it off.

"Are you sure? I saw you guys talking to each other." She said, making me groan and think of how much she saw.

"It's not that serious," I mumbled under my breath, causing her to turn around and glare at me.

"What's going on in here?" I heard a voice say just as she was about to reprimand me for mumbling.