chapter sixteen

Two weeks later.....

Uncle Haroon has left our house and I was so sad.

Before he went back, he took me to cold stone, we took ice cream and bought some home. We later went to the cinema and watch movie including mulan that I forever wanted to watch.

I was so happy that day. In the morning, he didn't wait for me to wake up and he left putting a gift on my bedside.

I checked it and it was many chocolates. I read the note that was stick to it. It reads 'this is your chocolates that I took with force that day. Enjoy! And don't miss me too much. Byee
Yours brotherly and 'unclely', uncle Haroon'

I kept the note and laughed at his choice of word 'unclely'. Is he even serious?. I got ready and went to school

......
Two years later.....

I can't believe I'm now in ss3. Like, I will soon finish secondary school and go to university. Yaay!

How time flies.

A lot has happened in the past two years. Ibrahim, a girl named Rukayya in our class and I have being going through serious competition for first position.

Sometimes, I took first position, or Ibrahim or the girl. But I have being taking first position lately.

Maya on the other hand, would either take fourth or fifth position. That one don't bother her.

We have officially become bffs. We are each other's diary. There is nothing in my life that she don't know and same to her too, I know literally everything in her life. She has visited me many many times but I visit her just few times.

Habiba and I are also friends now and she visited my house thrice.

Uncle Haroon never visited again since when he left. We only chat, call and face time. He promise to visit on my graduation day.

I'm no longer following school bus again cos my mum is now a licensed driver and she drives me to school and drives me back. She went to driving school and my dad bought her a black corolla car on their anniversary.

My dad and corolla!💁

......

Maya and I are seated in the school cafe. She's eating meat pie and coke, while I was eating spring roll and my favourite smoothie.

"Should I tell you something about habiba?" She asked looking around

"Yeah, what about her?" I asked

"You know she is 19 now. So when she was 16,she was in ss1. During those times, she was as rude as malika. She was so proud of herself and she was extravagant. Life then thought her a lesson." Maya said sipping on coke.

"She was raped by one senior boy in ss3 because simply she was rude to him. The school expelled him but no one in the school really knows what happened. She cried her eyes out everyday and there was nothing to do than to abort her baby.

The abortion was carried out successfully and from that day, there is no one on earth that is better than her. She became very nice,religious, quiet and very good.

Even in our family, only her parents and my dad knew about it. I was eavesdropping on their conversation that's how I came to know about it too. But pls never mention it to her and don't change your attitude towards her pls"Maya concluded with sad face

Eyya poor habiba. She went through all these. I pity her

" I won't tell her" I replied, my voice now shaking because I am on the point of breaking down with tears.

"Let's go to class. I'm even coming to your house today" she said trying to cheer me up cos she saw my watery eyes.

I stood up and followed her to class.

......
When I came back from school, I was getting ready to go to my Islamic school when Maya showed up as she promised.

Now, either I cancel islammiyya or she come with me

"Maya,do you want to come to islammiyya with me?" I asked her

"Nop why?" She asked

"Cos I have to go to islammiyya and I can't leave you here you know" I said not knowing what to do.

"Ok I can go back home though" she said with blank expression.

Is she upset?

"No I didn't mean it....." I start to say but she interrupted me

"No its fine seriously" she said carrying her iPhone 12 to call her driver.

She didn't sound or show that she's upset but I don't like the way she acted cool about it.

Should I just leave islammiyya? No she would have to come with me

"Come on. Just come with me" I said snatching away her phone.

"Fiinnee" she said and I hugged her. I searched through my wardrobe to find suitable hijab for her.

I gave her a lemon green hijab and it fits her. We went to islammiyya together and came back together.

"Uhmm...Khair, which university are you attending after graduation" Maya asked removing her hijab

"I really want to go to university of Maiduguri or ABU Zaria" I replied feeling happy.

"Ewwww" she exclaimed with squeezed face.

"What?" I asked almost annoyed

"I'm not attending university in Nigeria. I did my nursery, primary and secondary in Nigeria but I can and would never do my university in Nigeria" she told me

Ehhh! See this girl

"Which university are you attending then?" I asked her

"I don't know yet. I have many choices of university so I will discuss with my dad and see which one he choose for me" she said.

We talked and she finally went home after telling my mum goodbye.

______________