chapter thirty three

We are currently in the car with my parent heading to Kaduna. I don't know why I drank too much liquid this morning because it's affecting me now and I don't know how to tell my parent that so I will just have to hold it till we reach Kaduna and that is a hour ahead of us.

As soon as my dad drove into uncle Haroon's house and pulled into the parking lot,I ran out of the car and entered the house muttering salam. "Hi mummy Laila Good afternoon. Pls I want to use the bathroom quickly" I rushed out dancing and clutching my blouse. "Ok follow me and stop dancing like a flamingo behind me" she said chuckling as she hurriedly led me to the toilet.

I relieved myself and came out. I ran to uncle Haroon's younger sister's room, that is mummy Laila and jumped on her. "Ke,don't squeeze me and my baby." She shouted and I slowly released her with a devious smile. "So we have a baby in this stomach,hi baby" I said pressing my ear to her slightly bumpy tummy. "Pls get out you this crazy girl" she shouted chuckling as she pushed me out of her room.

"Wait,where's Laila?" I asked as I remembered about her two year old daughter. "She's in school. Her dad will pick her up if they close and they will both wait for me at home until I come back." She said and pushed me further away from her room.

I headed to uncle Haroon's room and carefully opened his door. I'm planning to scare him the way he usually scares me. I saw him lying flat on his stomach on his bed with legs swinging like flags. I moved as quietly as I could and moved close to him.

"Ok.....no problem.....I will accept it as my fate....*chuckles*.....Toh bye" uncle Haroon said in a very low voice as if he's talking to his girlfriend. He retracted the phone from his ear with a sad small smile.

I moved myself closer to ears ready to shout in it. "Huh hey Khair" uncle Haroon said out of nowhere. Damn,he knows I'm here. "Hi uncle Haroon, good afternoon" I greeted trying to act cool. "Sorry I ruined your plan" he smirked and I shot him a glare.

"So who are you talking to?" I asked with a neutral face. "To my lady" he replied casually and I gasped. "And you didn't bother to tell me?! I thought I was your sister and I don't hide things from you. Who is she?" I asked dramatically. "Gist for another day" he said and head to the bathroom with my mouth hanging opened widely.

When did he turn this grumpy and quiet? This is not the uncle Haroon I know and I will definitely persuade him until he tells me whatever the hell happened.

I sat on the bed thinking of different ways to ask him about his mood that I didn't know when he came out of the bathroom.

"Seriously? You are still here?" He asked more like telling himself. "Yes I'm here and I'm not going out until you tell me about your sudden grumpiness" I said sternly. He looked at me for a long moment that was creepy. He didn't say anything but just staring at me as if I am a mirror.

Is what i said to him wrong?

I think I need to apologize. "Uncle Ha....." I started but he cut me off with a hiss. He gave me one last glare and stomped out of the room like a damn child.

Okay that's unusual!

I followed him out and looked for him. I sat on the kitchen stool figuring out what the hell is happening when I heard continuous loud car honk. I rushed out of the parlor and wanted to rush to uncle Haroon that I saw in his car honking mercilessly at the gateman that was struggling to open the gate. The situation looked funny but I was too confused to laugh.

After a moment of struggling, the gate finally opened and I ran to uncle Haroon's car. "Wait uncle Haroon, if it...." I started but uncle Haroon didn't spare me a glance as he drove past me so fast that it caught me off guard and I landed on my butt. He didn't even turn to look at what he did to me.

Wow! I mean WOW!!

"Sorry Ummu,I don't know what entered his head. I have never seen him like this before. Oya stand up Ummu. Sannu" the gateman said fidgeting with his fingers.

"Thank you. And I told you not to call me Ummu,call me Khair. Is it that hard?" I gave him a playful glare and he laughed. "I will try" he said with old smile. "You better" I said getting up. I so badly want to rub my sore butt now but I'm afraid it will make it worse.

I walked back inside and went to mummy Laila's room but didn't found her inside. I think I need to sit and process all what happened. I sat down and winced loudly in pain as my butt touched the bed. I didn't imagine it could be this painful.

"Khair,God, what happened to you?" Mummy exclaimed as she came out if the bathroom. "I fell down" I replied with a painful smile. "Subhanallah! And that's why you are bleeding on my bed?" She exclaimed again.

Oh my God! Is my butt bleeding? Please don't be it,don't be it.

I checked my body and saw my bruised elbow bleeding. When did that happened?!

Mummy Laila went inside her bathroom and bought a first aid box. She cleaned my wound and returned the box. She bought food for me and I immediately started digging in.

She persuaded me to tell her what happened and I did. All she kept doing is to gasp at every word. "Ya Haroon is not like that" she said more to herself staring into the space. "I know" I replied taking a bite of the cupcake she specially made for our arrival. "I will talk to him. That's not him" she assured me.

After spending few minutes with her,I decided to greet my grandparents that are living in the other apartment. "I was planning on going there,so let's go together" she said standing up.

We went to my grandparents part and I gladly saw my parent there. I hugged my grandma carefully and greeted my grandpa. After a lot of teasing me,my dad said out of nowhere "we will be going to our house because it is getting late. Khair you're coming with us"

"Bu..but..." I started. "No buts. We are going now" my mum intervened sternly.

Oh no! I planned on spending the night in this house but my dad just have to.....ughhhh.

Mummy Laila gave me an apologetic smile. I waved everyone goodbye and walked out of the part sadly. I stood near the car waiting for my parent. They came out with mummy Laila following suit. She came and hugged me and I pushed back the sad tears that were threatening to fall.

"Don't worry. I will talk to uncle Haroon" she whispered in my ear and she broke the hug. I entered the car waving at her and she bade my parent goodbye.

The ride to our house was awkwardly silent. Is as if my mum sensed it,she turned on the radio and that helped reduced the thick silent a little.

I was just hoping mummy Laila will talk sense into uncle Haroon's skull that seems to be getting thick. I tried calling him many times as we reached home and lied on my bed but he wouldn't pick it up. I gave up and switched off the lights and went into a dreamless sleep.

____________