chapter twenty seven

Maya came over at my house later in the day. She bought me a brand new iPhone 12. She dropped it and ran away despite me trying to reject it at all cost. I know it's kind of too much for her to give me but,she's damn rich.

I collected Ibrahim's number from her and thanked him. I asked him what he came to do at Maya's house in the first place.

"Actually, my brother Mustapha came to Maya's dad's house to talk about his job or whatever and he asked me to escort him. And that's how everything happened when I saw you guys coming back from the garage. I'm sorry" he explained

"Don't apologize again" I warned him. We chatted some more and finally hung up. I greeted my parent when they came back from their 'outing' while trying to act like nothing has happened to me and that was damn stressful.

........
Tomorrow is the 'day',the day that my life would take a U-turn,a good one. I'm finally going to the Stanford university tomorrow so I'm here doing a lot, I mean a lot of works. Like,my parent are getting me to do a lot of work to make up for the days I won't be working if I'm gone.

I packed my clothes,do some shoppings and finally received four horrible hours of boring lectures from my parent about the do's and don'ts. It's as if I'm getting married and never coming back to my parent house again. Ughhh

I woke up early in the morning and did what I have to do. We had a small session of cries and hugs with my mum and finally driving to the airport with the help of uncle Haroon.

We met Maya,Habiba and a woman there already waiting for us. I greeted them while Habiba and uncle Haroon disappeared to God knows where.

After thirty minutes,the plane was ready to take off and that's when Habiba and uncle Haroon came from wherever they were. We hugged,joked,cried and prayed for ourselves. We entered the plane and California, here I come

.........
My body was as stiff as dusting broom by the time we landed at San Fransisco international airport. Spending eighteen hours sitting in a plane is not a joke.

"What will we do from here?" I asked Maya as I stretched my body. "Hmm,my dad told me a taxi would come and pick us from here to our apartment he rented for us." Maya said. "But the problem is that,how will we find the man?" She added and I nodded in agreement.

Immediately after that,a man dressed in suit and chauffeur's cap walked  towards us. He said he's a chauffeur and would drive us to our apartment as instructed by Maya's uncle that's working here. We shouldn't really agree to what he's saying,should we? But we dumbly hopped in anyway.

It took us twenty minutes to finally arrive at our apartment in 399 Fremont. "Wow,i love this place"i murmured looking around the house and Maya nodded with a smile. Its an awesome simple stylish apartment with a moderate living room,one bedroom,two bathrooms,a kitchen and a backyard. The house is already furnished and it is nice and suitable for Maya and I to live there.

We freshened up and I arranged our clothes in the wardrobe while Maya ordered something for us to eat. After a little while,we heard Dingdong sound coming from the door. Maya stood up and answered the door. She bought in two boxes of pizza and a lot of soda. She started digging in and I joined her.

.......
The next day,we made call to our family members telling them we have arrived. We took a cab to a shipping company where Maya's car was shipped.

"How did the car get shipped in less than a week?I thought it usually takes up to three weeks or so right?" I asked her surprised "I don't know how my dad did that but I'm thinking that one of his friends works there,not like a messenger, Toh, he's the that helped. Anyhow it's done, I love it" Maya replied with a toothy grin.
We did a grocery shopping before going home. Some foods here can't be eaten.

...........
"Khair wake up. Khaiiiiirrrr" Maya shouted my name but I ignored her. She came closer to me and shouted in my ear. "Oh my God. Maya leave me alone I'm so tired" I groaned almost at the verge of tears. "Ok,we have class by nine and this is eight already. So stay back and enjoy your sleep while I go to school bye" Maya replied standing up from the bed and I heed to her advice by enjoying my sleep
My eyes snapped open when I heard the clicking sound of the main door closing. I stood up fast and ran to the living room.

"Maya,what's this?" I asked annoyed. "You said you're sleeping so I'm shutting the door while I go to school so that you could enjoy your sleep. Isn't that sweet of me?" She said and I detect the evil smirk on her face.

She walked away as I banged,pushed, knocked and did all I could with the door. She got to be seriously kidding me.

I rushed to the bathroom and take the quickest shower of my life. I forgot to take breakfast as I went to the living room again trying to open the door again but no luck. I sat down defeated on the comfortable purple couch while chanting 'Maya must be kidding me'. An idea suddenly popped inside my head and I face palmed myself.

I stood up and went to the backyard door and found it opened. Why didn't I think of this all this while? Dumb me.

I went out through the backyard door and found that annoying Maya I'm planning to murder one day close to her annoying fine car laughing at me. I shoot her a hard glare and hopping into her car.

"I can't believe you did that to me" I said not looking at her. She didn't drive but just staring at me. "Aren't you suppose to drive?" I asked her. "Not until you smile and forgive me" she said and I couldn't help but smile. She smiled back,hug me for thirty seconds and started driving.

I prayed silently as we leave the house to the school.

_____________