Chapter thirty six

Oh hell no! It can't be him.

Are you blind? He's the one.

Maybe its just his lookalike.

Err....excuse me,his lookalike can't be in Nigeria right?

Believe it or not he's Smith!

Smith!

I kept arguing with myself until he cleared his voice. "Hello my Khair" He said with cold voice and his famous devious smile plastered on his face.

My stomach churned at his words and I controlled myself not to shake visibly.
"H...how....are you... H...here?" I managed to croak out. I expected my voice to be more confident than this but well, it disappointed me.

His disgusting loud laugh bought me back to reality. "Why don't we sit down and talk while taking some chilled milkshake? Err,but your boyfriend isn't sitting us right?" He asked feigning a disgust look and that's when I remembered about Ibrahim.

He was looking at me confused probably wondering what I was doing with the hell of a guy who is obviously not from Nigeria with nice freckles on his face. Note the sarcasm.

"He's not my boyfriend." I answered quietly. Wait why did I even answer? "Nice" complimented Smith.

I contemplated with myself whether to sit down and 'talk' with this mischievous guy. "Are we gonna sit or stand here like a damn tree" Smith reminded me and Ibrahim was just looking as if he's on another planet.

Smith came out with tray full of smoothies and sat on our previous chair. He gestured for me to come and I forcefully dragged myself to the chair with Ibrahim following me. Laila came herself and took a milkshake while staring at us Innocently.

"So?" I said gulping hard. "Ever heard of 'revenge'?" He asked with air quotation making my heart drop. Did he came all the way from San Fransisco to Nigeria for revenge?! This is already annoying me but at the same time, I'm scared.

"I actually came to take revenge but I sat down and realised that, what will I gain if I take revenge on this pretty little girl now huh? Well,I won't gain anything so I decided to make peace with you and never disturb you for now. And I'm sorry for all tensions and whatever that I caused you. So are we clear now?" He admitted raising an eyebrow.

It took me some minutes to process what he said. Like...is he high? Is he for real? Did he mean all what he said?

Stop asking yourself rhetoric questions. If he isn't for real why would he actually come from far away to apologize? Just think about it. My brain advised.

What if its among one of his devious tricks? To make you believe the nonsenses he said then take a big step in ruining your life after you fell for his lies? Think about it also. My mind advised too.

He came with a clean mind my dear. The whole Smith Gaulten apologizing, it has to be a good thing. Came the voice in my brain which I'm gradually agreeing to.

Hehehe,how can someone in his right senses take 18 hours flight to apologize to a mere girl after he knew he could call her or wait for her to resume school then apologize? You know he can simply call or write a message right?. My mind said.

I know he came with clean mind, so just accept,do you need another evidence?? My brain sang 'attention' in her own words.

You just need to sit down,don't mind this your brain, maybe he just came to push you in his biggest trap. My mind sang along.

Charlie Puth would be mad if he learns about this song war between my mind and brain.

"Huh Khair are you with me?" Smith asked and I nodded meekly. "I asked you if we're clear and you are just staring into space for three minutes now. If I may ask again,are we clear?" He asked focusing his eyes directly on me.

Better say NO!.

"Yes!" I firmly said

Damn you girl! My mind cursed but I think my brain laughed. Oh lord, I hope I'm not going crazy.

"Thanks Khair. We are no more enemies right?" He said smiling slightly. "Right" I answered with my own slight smile but filled with nervousness.

"Alright. I would take my leave now" he said stretching his hand to me for a shake but I just stared at it fiddling with my fingers. He realised I won't shake him so he retracted his hand awkwardly. "Oh sorry. Just realized you're not permitted to touch men. Oops." He said with laugh.

"Anyway, see ya in school" he waved at me walking out of the shop sipping his milkshake and I waved back.

Oh God! What have I done? I just agreed to him while obviously it can turn out to be a lie. I sunk back into the chair wishing I could just vanish from this cruel world.

"Khair..... Khair!" I heard Ibrahim called and I faced him. "Who was that and what the hell was he talking about?" Ibrahim asked but I couldn't answer him that moment. All I wanted was just to go home and pray to Allah to protect me from all evils.

"Pls let's go home" I said when I finally found my voice and I thanked Ibrahim for not asking anymore questions.

I decided to tell Ibrahim everything about Smith while in the car.At least Ibrahim is 100% preferable than Smith right?

"Subhanallah!" He exclaimed after I finished narrating Smith's story to him. I heaved a sigh closing my eyes. "Since you accepted his apology,don't give in to him easily. Just keep praying every time. That's my advice to you. May Allah protect us all." He finished sighing also and I muttered an 'amin'.

"I think we should drop Laila off first then drive to your house cos uncle Haroon will not be back yet". Ibrahim suggested after few minutes of silence and I just nodded.

He dropped Laila then finally me. I thanked him over and over till he playfully punched me to stop thanking him. I got out of his car and waved at him. A wide grin appeared on his face as he waved back in happiness. I chuckled at his childishness and turned to enter the house.

"I LOVE YOU!" He shouted and drove off. I turned and look at his car in total shock.

Lahaula wala quwwata! My parent should not here this.

I walked further into the house as a slight smile slowly creeping up my face with every step I took.

Why am I even smiling?

Shaking my head in disbelief at my own attitude, I opened the door and entered with a salam. I met my mum arranging food warmers on the dinning table.

Oh Allah,with the love you have for prophet,make my mum not to hear what Ibrahim said.

"I'm back mummy" I said as I kneeled greeting her. "Welcome. Who's that boy that dropped you off?" She questioned not taking her eyes off what she was doing. My heart started beating faster but I managed and told her who Ibrahim was and what made him drop me in a smooth voice.

She didn't asked or suspect anything again and I thanked my lucky stars. After we finished eating lunch, I packed the dishes to the kitchen and washed them. I ran into my room with one thing on my mind,which was obviously telling Maya all what happened.

I called but she didn't pick up. I called her forty times but still. Yeah I know its too much but what are besties for? Disturbing each other with crazy things of course. I decided to call uncle Haroon but remembered he was in meeting so I dropped my phone and took my novel.

I fall asleep in the process of reading and didn't wake up until after four hours. I checked my phone and wondered why Maya hasn't called me back yet.

"Got a girl to scold later."

________________