thirty one

𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞 : 𝐢 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮❝ took me a long time tosay this

❝ took me a long time to
say this. i want to love you. ❞
⁻ ᵈᵃʸ⁶ ⁻

ᵕ̈♡˳೫˚∗

waking up at ungodly hours had become the norm for choi chanhee, the boy constantly being plagued by nightmares the closer he got to that day — it haunted him for years on end, a never ending ghost that followed him wherever he went and whoever he interacted with.

he shuffled around his dark room and soon found his earpieces and phone and, after putting his jacket on, he left for another past midnight walk.

once he stepped foot outside of the dormitory halls, the cold air nipped at his skin and for a second, he was tempted to return to his room for a change of clothes. but the thought of walking past the drunkards that loitered in the lobby dissuaded him so, zipping his hoodie all the way up and wearing the hood over his head, he started his stroll.

eventually, he found himself in a secluded corner of the campus, not even those who partook in the night life lingering around there and with a sigh, he sat himself down on a bench, taking off his mask and slowly doing breathing exercises to calm himself down.

his nightmare earlier had sapped every single ounce of strength he prided himself on having. it suffocated him and paralysed him completely, so much so that even in reality, it felt as though he were still breathless, his nightmare seemingly seeping into the very fabric of his reality.

he hated it.

he hated the weight of the guilt and burdens he carried although people have told him time and time again that there was nothing that he could've done. they told him that there was nothing he could've said to change the outcome and yet, he could see the resentment in their eyes, could feel their disappointment that some useless child had caused such repercussions.

he knew they wanted him gone for taking their precious friend, colleague or wife away but what they never realised was that he had lost his own mother on that day too.

that child stole her smile from her.

he often heard their murmurs, their accusations tossed towards a helpless child to catch.

and he has the audacity to show that smile of his?

after his mom's death, growing up had become more a chore rather than something he should have looked forward to. as years passed, he began hiding behind masks, unwilling to let anyone even catch a glimpse of emotion from him.