Confessional

Author's NOTE: this is two chapters into one

Brooklyn's POV:

Oh the joy of arriving somewhere knowing you're be welcome with open arms despite how early it is. It just brought a smile to my face as I waited for them to open the door.

Humming to myself as I waited, I looked down at the piece of paper in my hand while fixing my book-bag strap. Grabbing my pencil from behind my ear I quickly wrote down what I was doing.

It was roughly 8 o'clock and although it was a Sunday, I didn't see the harm in coming early to see my girlfriend.

Her mom however didn't seem to agree as she was the one to open the door.

"Brooklyn for heaven sakes, I get you dating my daughter but you only just returned her to me a few hours ago," Ms. Sparks said, a playful frown on her face.

"Hello Ms. Sparks, how are you doing, I see you're in your scrubs. Did you just come back or are you getting ready to leave for work?" I asked as I smiled at her, rocking on my tippy toes.

Opening the door wider, Ms. Sparks beckon me forward as she turned around to head into her house.

"Getting ready to leave, one of my coworkers asked if I could cover the last three hours of their shift due to an emergency they have. Do you want some coffee? I just finish brewing some."

"Why isn't that nice of you! I wouldn't have cover it but that's just me. And no thanks, unfortunately I'm under direct orders not to drink any caffeine," I said as I followed her into the kitchen.

"Why so?" Ms. Sparks asked.

"My dad took me to the doctors earlier because he wants them to monitor my heart rate. They got me hook up to a holster monitor, look," I responded as I lifted my shirt.

Taking a glance over her shoulders, Ms. Sparks looked at my torso, nodding slightly before turning her attention back to her coffee.

"Mind if I ask what prompted them to have to do a ECG on you?"

"You know... I hate those kind of questions Ms. Sparks. They are so opened ended. But yes you can ask and no I don't mind. I've been very stress lately and I've been on new medications. I don't know if Emma told you, I'm bipolar, but anyways that not really important, what's important is them medication have really been messing with me lately. Dad wants to make sure it not causing any buildup of plague. I can live with one lung, one kidney, without my spleen and etc, but I kind of need my heart. I'm no Tin Man Ms. Spark but I guess the wizard would say I'm unlucky, because I have one. After all! Hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable,"

"You know when I heard your voice, I thought I was dreaming but come to find out you're actually here, in my house citing the Wizard of Oz to my mom."

Immediately, I spun around and smiled widely at the beauty in front of me.

"Emma!"

Rolling her eyes but walking over to me nevertheless, Emma allowed me to engulf her in a hug.

"Ah home sweet home! And I didn't even need to click my heels."

"Must you be so energetic first thing in the morning, and what's on your chest," Emma mumbled as she pulled away from me, an adore pout on her face.

"I have on a holster monitor," I responded.

"Um... that sounds nice?" Emma skeptically said as she looked to her mom.

"It's a device used in the medical field to detect abnormal heartbeats and other abnormalities of the heart sweetheart," her mom explained.

"Oh, are you okay? Did something happen? I knew
you're heart sounded weird yesterday," Emma said.