Type

Emma's POV:

Taking a deep breath, I tighten my grip on my lunch tray.

My eyes wander around the cafeteria, trying to find an empty table. Looking in the far back, I spotted a table that wasn't occupied by students so I decided to walk over to it.

It was the second week of school and so far I managed to stay invisible. I didn't like to have interactions with other people since I learned a long time ago they were almost never what they seemed to be.

When I finally arrived at the table, I sat on the side to where I could look out and see other students. I never really liked giving my back to people since I didn't like not knowing what was happening behind me.

After I sat down, I started to eat right away. I tried to stay hidden by lowing my head but that ended up with my glasses continuously slipping off my nose. After the 20th time that it fell, I ended up keeping my head held high but tilted down a bit in a way that I could still see my food.

After about 5 minutes of me eating my food, I heard someone clearing their throat causing me to look up.

My eyes widen when I saw that it was Brooklyn.

"Is it okay if I sit with you?" Brook asked.

Swallowing the lump that formed in my throat, I nodded my head slowly.

"Ace." She said while smiling, before sitting down.

Frowning, I tilted my head to the side.

"Where are you from?" I found myself asking in a low tone.

Looking up at me she bit her lower lip before chuckling.

"A bit curious of my accent?" She said as she smirked.

Nodding my head, I waited for a response.

"Well, my mother was pregnant with me when she was in the UK working on one of her fashion line. She was planning on coming back to the USA but they didn't allow her to fly since she was already close to her due day so she stayed in the UK. Long story short, I stayed there until I was five."

"Oh." I said as I played with my food.

"Yea but the accent is light, I like to think I was born here, since my parents are American. I mean, I can fake an American accent, so it's not like I stick out like sore thumb." She said as she shrugged it off.

"I just forget to use it sometimes." She said.

Nodding my head, I didn't know what else to say.

"So... are you going to try out for any sports?" Brook asked.

Shaking my head, I continued to look down.

"Mm okay, so are you done eating?"

"Um yes." I responded.

"Cool, here, let me take that for you." Brook said as she reached over for my tray.

After she grabbed it, she stood up and gestured for me to follow her.

"So do you fancy our school?" Brook asked as she looked over her shoulder to look at me.

Nodding my head again, I held onto my bookbag straps.

"Not much of a talking are you?" Brook asked.

Shaking my head, I continued to follow her.

After she threw after the food on my tray, she turned around to face me, however, I didn't noticed how close I was to her, so I ended up crashing into her.