Nerves.

The Man finally awoke, gasping for air as he laid weakly on the floor, his head spinning as his eyes fluttered open. 'wh.. where am I..?' he glanced around nervously, his vision blurry and dark, candles circled the room, the roof seemingly reaching to hell and back. chains and blood covered the floor, his senses came back to him, his whole body screaming in pain and shock, he could barely move. he whined in pain, trying to sit himself up as he felt the chains tugging on his wrists and neck, it felt as if there were blades digging into his flesh. he held himself off the ground, looking up to see a figure glaring at him from a distance, though he couldn't make out who they were. he collapsed onto the floor once again, his body shaking from the freezing air that surrounded him. he heard the figure's footsteps nearing him, their voice echoing. "Welcome back, Pure Vanilla Cookie."

--------------------------------------------------

Pastry walked into town, glancing around as she already saw a nun wandering around, quickly grabbing Velvet and hiding behind a building. Velvet was caught off guard as he yelped out "AH-" Pastry put her finger over her mouth, motioning for him to be quiet. "SHHH!" she waited nervously for the nun to pass as she looked around the area. "I don't know if I can do this-" pastry whispered, "do what??" Velvet aggressively whispered back. "STAY HERE YOU NIT-WIT." she whispered back, grabbing him by the collar. "GEEZ ALRIGHT-" Pastry glared at him for a moment before releasing her grip on him.
She looked around the corner of the building seeing a fabric shop nearby, "that's where I need to go, wait here." she speed-walked over to the store. Velvet watched her disappear into the crowd as he sat down in the alleyway, playing with a strand of his hair while he awaited her return. after around ten minutes Pastry came back with a bag of fabric and other materials, she took a deep breath as she sat down next to him crisscrossed.
"Question, have you ever cut your hair?" "Not that I can recall, why do you ask?" "Goodness. I can tell. that's very unsanitary but can I at least keep it from dragging on the ground?" "In what way?" Velvet asked, tilting his head. "Just let me tie it up for you." "uh.. go for it?" "Thank you." She nodded as she took a hair tie off her wrist, she began to slowly braid his hair whilst humming to herself. "You know you're gonna have to cut off all these dead-ends at some point." "I'm sure it's fine-" Velvet said, having no idea what she was talking of, he had never been taught anything about hair health growing up. "Nonsense, your unkempt hair must be tamed, Feel my hair, that's what hair is supposed to feel like." she took his hand, laying it against her hair. It was soft and shiny, she had to look perfect every day for church, so she knew quite a bit about this stuff. Velvet moved his hand back "I still don't get it-" Pastry sighed, rolling her eyes. "your hair is simply dirty red. It's all right- I'll deal with it for you." she finished up the braid "aand- done." "feels kinda weird.." he was a little confused but decided to go along with it. "it will at least keep your hair up and off the dirty floor." "alright-"
a figure walked around the corner leaning against the wall, a red-haired cookie with a bandana and a dagger. "well well well, look what we have here! it seems we have some newcomers! that are in OUR spot. What do ya say Rye?" another cookie followed in behind her. "My my! I haven't seen ya'll around these parts before, you must be new here.." Velvet cautiously stood up "sorry, what?" Pastry nervously looked in his direction. The spicy cookie chuckled, reaching into her pocket to grab out her dagger. "I think we should teach these guys we don't take kindly to newbies who steal our spot!" "you're threatening us simply because we decided to rest here? that's just sad.." Velvet said as he carefully pulled his sword out of its holster. "Well, we see you have a bag of things that you obviously purchased with coins.. We could use a few more coins for our bank~!" She looked to Rye, "What do you think?" Rye scoffed, glaring at the two. "HAH! I'd have to agree with ya' there!" Pastry gulped, gripping the bag.
"We don't want any conflict really, we need more money for food so all I could afford to give you is ten coins." Velvet glared at her "the fuck are you doing?? They're trying to rob us!" "OBVIOUSLY. I'm trying to get out of this in one piece and communicate, violence isn't always the solution!" "WE'RE BEING HELD AT GUNPOINT, THAT'S NOT HOW THIS WORKS!" he yelled, clearly frustrated. Chilli stared at them "Well the little lady sure knows how to bargain, but I was really looking for a good rough battle today." She threw her dagger past Pastry's face as it stuck to the wall behind her.
"That's what I'm talking about-" Velvet grabbed rye and threw her into a wall, knocking the guns out of her hands as he quickly turned to Chili who quickly stabbed him in the shoulder. he winced from the pain for a second before he grabbed her weapon out of her hand, plunging it into her knee as Rye grabbed her weapon, dusting herself off. Velvet knocked Chili Pepper into the wall holding his sword against her neck as Rye pointed her gun at him. Chilli gulped, knowing if the fight continued there'd be no good ending for either of the sides. "HEY MAN IT'S- IT'S NOT THAT SERIOUS, KEEP YOUR FUCKIN' MONEY ALRIGHT??" she looked over to Rye, heavily breathing with one eye open, giving her a nod as to lower her gun.
Rye hesitantly lowered her weapon. Velvet lowered his sword taking a few steps back as he cautiously made his way back over to Pastry. Chilli fell onto the ground, holding her wounded leg as Rye ran over to her. "You alright?" she asked, helping Chili onto her feet. "yep.." Rye glared at Velvet. Pastry watched them both closely before turning to leave, "Let's go, I have clothes to make and we still need a place to stay. also was that really necessary??" Velvet nodded, following behind her.
Rye took a deep breath "we should go get you bandaged up.." Chili grunted "Yea good idea- fuck that hurts... mmh- dude was such an asshole, who does he think he is? Looks like no kind of cookie I've ever seen." She sniffed. rye grabbed a bandage from her pocket, wrapping it around Chili's leg. " DID YOU SEE HIS GOD DAMN ARM? mans like a mutant or something, or an alien trying to destroy cookie kind as we know it!" "I mean at least the lady was willing to comply. Now we gotta watch out for that dude." She sucked in air through her teeth as the wound stung. "I don't know about you but he smelled like dead jellyfish! And I've never even smelled a dead jellyfish-" Chili chuckled, "I've never smelled one either-" She scratched her head.

---------------------------------------

Velvet followed after Pastry as they made their way through the town, "So where are we going anyway?" Velvet asked. "We need to look for some sort of shelter, doesn't matter we just need a place to stay. I'll make some clothes for the two of us and we'll be good." Velvet crossed his arms. "I think I'll be good, it's just you." he glanced around the town, keeping his eyes peeled. "I'm pretty sure there's some kind of abandoned house I used to hang out in as a kid, should be in the forest not too far from town." "Oh, lead the way then." Pastry paused, "Wait, you never told me how you got away without being noticed?" "It's nothing important."
he led her to the area, "alright- but it's important to me! well, I wouldn't say important but, y'know." "I faked my death, that's all." he paused, seeing the house as he made his way inside. "it definitely wasn't the best idea but I kinda panicked and did it impulsively." "Now I understand why Enchantress was so Bothered, what I don't understand is your relationship with her." Velvet sighed, "Honestly, I don't know either anymore.." "Well, she's your mother, last time I checked you adored her."
Pastry brought out her bag and sat down on the floor starting to hand sew a shirt together. Velvet sat himself down, "I was blind, she didn't give two fucks about me." "Well, now you do have someone who gives a.. F about you." she kept her focus on sewing, avoiding eye contact. Velvet yawned, it had been a long day for the both of them, he just hoped nobody would find them there.
Pastry looked over to him, "You can go sleep now if you wish, I'll keep watch while I'm sewing." Velvet stared at her for a moment, "Hm, alright I'll do that, just make sure you get some sleep." he made his way over to a separate room, gently putting down his sword and backpack as Chiffon crawled out of it, still seeming tired. Velvet sat himself against the mossy wall, chiffon scurrying over as they laid on his lap, quickly falling asleep. of course, it wasn't the most comfortable, but it's what they had. he slowly drifted off to sleep.