A Parent's Dying Wish

My parents are dying?

The words echoed through my head, swirling around like a whirlpool. The constant barrage of information had left me feeling overloaded. This confrontation would always catch me off guard. I had made peace with the fact that those people were out of my life forever until they unexpectedly reappeared. Fate has a way of finding pleasure in my suffering. My past has been nipping at my heels for eight years, and it has finally caught me.

I don't know how I feel about my parent's dying. Part of me feels relieved at the thought of those monsters never being able to roam the earth and torture me. However, the child in me yearns for their love and affection. When did my parents care about me? When did they decide to love me as a parent should?

Honestly, I tried to imagine my parents crying for me. The mere thought of my father weeping and calling out my name made my heart ache. I tried to imagine my mother's perfect composure breaking because I wasn't present for Christmas, but again, I couldn't imagine it. I can honestly say that I haven't thought about them much in the past few years. Of course, when I first left I wept, but after a while the tears dried up and I couldn't bring myself to care about people that didn't give me a thought.

"Maybe they aren't dying out of love but out of guilt for abandoning their child." I stated.

"Guilt?" He questioned.

"Yes guilt. That's what it sounds like to me, Mr Warner. You are all culprits in causing a young woman pain and it is not love that you feel for her, but guilt for what you did."

"You do not know what you are talking about!" He spat. "I love Louise more than you can imagine." The emphasis on the word love made my tummy have butterflies, but it wasn't a good feeling. It was making me feel sick. The bile was rushing into my throat.

I laughed. "Love? Do you really believe you love Louise? I mean, from what you told me, you betrayed her for her sister, you pushed her away because you thought she could hurt a baby, you believed lies and didn't even give her the benefit of the doubt. If that is your version of love, then thank god she is far away from you." I sarcastically said.

As I looked at him, I could see that he was seething. I could see the evil eye he was giving me, but I heard no words of denial from what I have said. He knows she deserves better. He couldn't even retort back to my reply because everything I said was true, and he knew it.

"Truth hurts, doesn't it, Mr Warner?" I chuckled. "How long have you been looking for her?" I asked.

"Years." He gritted his teeth.

"How long did you start the look for her, Mr Warner? The week after your realised she disappeared? When her sister was at the end of her pregnancy? When your son was born? Or when your son died? Was it before or after his funeral?" I asked in an amused tone.

His eyes widened when I mentioned the death of his son. I knew I was pushing his buttons, but he needed to face the facts and be honest about his intentions and feelings.

"The minute I realised she was gone, I got investigators to look for her." He said, gritting his teeth.

"Did you even try to look for her yourself?" I asked. Curiosity was lingering in the air.

"I did after the death of my son. I was trying to be supportive of Leanne during her pregnancy, so I didn't have the time." He sighed. I could feel him admitting defeat, which caused a small smirk to my lips.

"Of course, god forbid you be there for the sister that was pampered by all, while you all abandoned the one who was lonely." I scoffed.

"How do you know her family pampered Leanne?" He asked quickly asked. I momentarily hesitated, but I had to be quick on my feet.

"I am simply deducing from what you have shared so far. Do you think I am wrong in my analysis?" I replied as I brought my hand across my face, trying to suppress the laughter that was rising to my chest. The annoyance on his face was apparent. I knew the Alpha in him couldn't handle being challenged. Fortunately, I could be as rude as I wanted because he thought I was human. There was no punishment that he could inflict on me.

"No, you're not wrong." He grumbled in defeat.

"So the question is, when did you realise they fed you lies? When did you realise Louise was innocent?" I asked.

Edited 08/08/2023