Unity

The elevator moved upwards and all I could do was count my lucky stars. Honestly, I can't believe I was even contemplating taking my charmed ring off. I looked at my phone and noticed I still had no signal but I had already been stuck in this godforsaken elevator for nearly two hours.

I groaned as I shifted to my feet. The prospect of leaving the past behind filled me with excitement so intense that I almost jumped. The relief I felt was overwhelming after years of heartbreak. I finally had the answers I wanted. Even though my life had been ruined, I couldn't bring myself to feel any sympathy for those responsible. The weight of my worries lifted, and I felt invigorated and capable. In my empire, I was the master of my destiny, and nothing could stand in my way. This encounter with my mate was a reminder that I can be on my own, without relying on anyone.

I straightened a jacket and pushed my pencil skirt down. I was now steady on my heels and ready for the hard graft ahead of me. Although it was an inconvenience, I felt at peace with my conversation with Jacob, and I knew I would never have to lay my eyes on him again. I knew fate was trying to tempt me, but if those people taught me anything. It is that you could fight your own fate.

I stretched my arms as far as I could, hearing the clicks of my limbs, while Jacob tried to compose himself. He had pushed himself off the floor and was now standing next to me as we waited for the next stop in the elevator. I kept my gaze forward, not wanting to look at the man who reluctantly held the other half of my soul. However, I could feel his piercing gaze on me. The heat his body was radiating next to mine was excruciating. It was fortunate that I had years of practice in mastering the art of silencing my pain.

"So," Jacob said as he rolled on the back on his heels.

"So?" I said with a cool demeanour.

"I guess this is goodbye?" He questioned.

The elevator dinged, and the doors swung open. There was a party of people standing, their faces filled with worry and fear.

"Goodbye." I said as I strode out towards the crowd of people. It was then that they parted like the Red Sea. They were all talking at once, bombarding me with questions, knowing that the technical interruption would make me angry. Trying to compensate for the time that I had wasted. They expected my anger. My mate and I were trapped in the elevator, and they didn't understand the severity of the situation. Despite my sour mood, I felt a sense of relief, as if it lifted a burden from my shoulders.

I wasn't a bad person, but I was happy with the fact that the people who I loved and protected got what they deserved. Karma hit them when they least expected. My thoughts were lingering on my parents, and I wondered if I could ever face them. My wolf tried peaking through my thoughts and I tried to push back, but she was a sneaky little bitch.

"Will you really never regret seeing our parents if they die?" My wolf whispered in my ear.

"Well I regret you rose from the ashes." I retorted back.

"I'm sorry Louise, I was taking the pain away from you. My distance allowed you to grow, to stop missing your mate and pack." She whimpered.

I brushed off her comment and continued with what I was doing. I knew I couldn't ignore her, so I promised myself I would deal with her later. Even though I had ordered the meeting to start early only added to the stress of rushing to get there on time. Tardiness was a pet peeve of mine, and I always was on time. It was unprofessional and in a world where time is money. The irritation was clearly plastered on my face as I ignored the countless employees in my office.

Benjamin was standing by his desk outside my office. His back was straight, his appearance was ever presentable. He looked as if he was a soldier about to head in to wear. However, instead of a gun, he held a cup in his hand, which I knew was the morning caffeine that I was so desperately in need of. However, after the last two hours I had to endure, I wondered if it would be acceptable for an Irish Coffee. Although I was confident, the nerves still ran through my hands.