Desperation

"How were you able to hide from me? Why didn't I notice your scent? I knew you looked familiar, but I didn't realise it was you." Jacob explained. His voice was low, you could hear the desperation cling to his voice.

"I had my ways to conceal myself. It doesn't matter anymore. You found me. As for why I looked different and you couldn't recognise me. It's simple, hair dye and surgery. I didn't want to be recognised by you or the pack. Considering my status in society, that would be impossible if I looked like Leanne. There was no way I would allow that bitch to fuck my life up again." I replied as I looked at my nails. I desperately needed a manicure.

"Lou- Loretta, you don't know how sorry we truly are for what we did to you." He sighs.

"I can imagine you are sorry. But unfortunately for you, sorry does nothing for me. No matter how many times you say the word, it does not change what you and my 'family' did to me." I sarcastically said as I gestured with my two fingers.

He hung his head. The shame wafting from in between his natural strawberry scent was nauseating. I really didn't know what he wanted me to say. His circumstances do not matter to me. He is the one who chose this path. He has to follow it. I remember my father screaming at me when I begged for him to show me mercy. His exact words were "you made your bed, now you have to lie in it". My parents' words must be biting him and the pack in the ass.

"Listen, I have no idea why you have been looking for me. It was futile. Really, I don't need you. I haven't needed you or my pack for years. My life is great, I'm thriving and I am happy. There is no need for you to interrupt it with your fake love and concern." I sighed as I pinched the bridge of my nose.

"Loretta, I am sorry. I know there's nothing I can do or say to make things better, but can you please give me a chance to make things right? Surely your wolf can't be happy without her mate. My wolf calls to yours every night. Your wolf must miss me. It couldn't have been easy for you to lose a mate and a pack. The day you left, he did nothing but whimper and berate me. Please, for the sake of my sanity, give me a chance." He begged.

I chuckled. "For the sake of your sanity? What have you ever done for mine? It's not my fault you mated my bitch of a sister. For an Alpha, you're rather stupid for not seeing past her facade. As for my wolf, she has ignored me for the last eight years. I was content living a human life away from you all." I snipped.

"What do you mean, your wolf ignored you?" He demanded. His gaze snapped to my eyes.

"Well, when you rejected me, she disappeared. I'm basically human, with heightened senses. My life has been great as a human. I don't regret it one bit. She only made herself known the day we were in the elevator, otherwise I would have continued to believe that she was dead. Unfortunately, the stupid bitch is tethered to your unworthy wolf." I growled.

He gave me a smirk. The corner of his lips lifted slightly. His eyes had a twinkle that I hadn't seen in years. My weak little heart fluttered and I could hear my wolf purr in the back of my mind. "Your wolf came back when we reunited?"

"Don't get excited. I didn't welcome her back. Truthfully, I wish she would disappear again. She can take you with her." I huffed.

He let out a loud growl. "Why would you wish that? Your wolf is a part of you! Your wolf is my mate!" Jacob exclaimed.

"Have you not heard anything I've said? I don't want a mate. It would be best if she died the day you rejected me, along with any affection that I once held for you. Do you really think I am lacking in men? I am the most highly sought woman in New York? Possibly the world. I have dated CEOs, even Prince Harry, before Markle caught her hooks into him! Hell, even Alpha's tried to get me to date me. I just don't care about tying myself down, and certainly not with a man like you!" I huffed in frustration.