The Caged Wolf

It was a new day in a place that I no longer belonged, last night's barbecue was just an example of how I didn't fit in here. People's stares did nothing but make me feel uncomfortable. The confrontation with my parents just made me hate them more than I already did. They were so concerned by their golden child that they didn't realise they were hurting me even more. It seemed like they wanted to ignore the fact that Leanne tried to kill me. 

Leanne had already taken so much from me, yet it didn't seem enough. I couldn't understand her need to murder me, even after all the pain she caused me I saw no reason to cause her bodily harm. She had everything at her fingertips for years but it still wasn't enough. My thoughts were plagued with all the pain and misery that she had caused. Jacob was oblivious to the mess that she had created. 

Leanne had left a trail of bodies behind her. Xavier's brother was infatuated with her, that his mate had killed her son. Xavier and Jacob were battling a war that had resulted in numerous pack members death. Both men were hurting because of one woman's sick and twisted games. I laid in bed and rubbed my temples hoping that it would soothe the headache that was pounding. 

I didn't know what to do, I didn't know how to stop the mess that Leanne had created. All I knew was that I couldn't leave this place without cleaning her mess up. The longer I spent in the pack, the more my wolf was pushing through the barriers that I had carefully constructed. I didn't know how long I could push her back in my mind. I know she didn't deserve the treatment I was giving her but I couldn't let her take the reigns. 

I didn't trust my wolf. She had abandoned me when I was already alone and betrayed by my mate and my family. Eight years changes a lot of people. Memories fluttered across my mind of when she wanted me to fight for our mate, she was determined that we could make Jacob see sense. She was hopelessly in love with our mate and she would forgive him no matter what. Even as our sister claimed her child was his, she was happy to accept them and care for them like her own. She didn't see the complications behind this. Jacob had denied our mateship, he didn't even acknowledge to the pack that he had found his true mate, he had lied and kept us a dirty secret. It was when we were on our own that he had rejected us and told us his intention to take our sister as his mate. 

Despite being human for the last eight years, I could feel my wolf pushing to the surface, I could feel her claws scratching through my mind to let her be free, to let her run wild. It was a part of me that I had forgotten but not missed. I closed my eyes and for the first time in years I decided to speak to that part of me that I wished would disappear. 

"What do you want?" I called out to my wolf. 

"A run. I am desperate, it has been years." My wolf pleaded. 

"I don't trust you to let you run free, you are still too obsessed with our mate." I explained. 

She huffed in frustration. I could sense her innate need to brush against her mate, to feel his touch, to kiss him endlessly. It was these feelings that I was trying to avoid. Her feelings were resonating to the human part of me, the part of me that has been in control for the last eight years. 

"I promise not to contact him while we are in wolf form. I promise not to do anything with him. Just please let me run free for a while. You can feel how much I need it. I know deep down you miss running in wolf form. Please, I won't ask for anything else, just a regular run." She begged.

I exhaled deeply, thinking about her request. She replayed memories from the past when I used to run through thick forest and I would feel the dirt beneath my paws. The cool breeze that would ripple through my fur. I couldn't deny her words were true. It had been years since I had last transformed. I closed my eyes and prayed that she could control herself that she wouldn't let me down like she had previously done.