Stench

I don't know how long I sat by the empty river with Xavier. Speaking about nothing and everything at the same time. Both of us were cut from the same cloth, both of us betrayed by mates who did not see us worthy of anything. I don't even know how Xavier managed to sneak on pack lands but I didn't hate it. It was nice speaking to my sister's mate, she was lucky. He was a good guy and she chucked that away.

My sister had not only ruined our lives but she had ruined the life of her mate's brother, she had interfered with fate on so many levels that I couldn't help but feel sickened by her deprived acts. The sun had set and the stars were shining bright, Xavier had left not long ago, so I once again was left on my own. After so many years of being alone, it didn't bother me. I found myself at peace with my own thoughts. 

As I looked up to the night sky, my eyes were closed. It was then that I could hear the crushing leafs beneath someone's steps. I could sense they were trying to be evasive, I could tell that they didn't want to be seen or heard, but it was too late. My nostrils flared and the aroma of strawberries wafted through the air. I didn't even have to guess who it was by now. 

"What are you doing here Jacob?" I questioned. 

A small chuckle released from his lips. "Thought I could sneak by and talk to you on your own." He replied lightly. I heard his steps quicken and quickly sat in the space which was once occupied by Xavier. I could hear him sniff loudly, like he could scent Xavier in the air. 

"What is that stench?" He growled. 

"That is the stench of a Rogue. I thought you were smarter than that Jacob. I mean that is after all what I am." I said nonchalantly, hoping he does not realise that I have essentially spoken with his sworn enemy. 

"Your not a Rogue Louise." I growled as my name left his lips. I hated when he said my birth name, it gave me a tummy ache. Part of me was giddy and the other part was sickened by it. "Sorry Loretta." He sighed. 

"Jacob, I am a Rogue. I have been for years. Eight years to be precise." I exasperated. 

A heavy silence filled the air. Although Jacob had spoken his truth to me when I was a mere stranger, there was so much that had already been said and then on the other side of the spectrum there was still so much more to say. Neither of us knew what to do, he couldn't comfort me because he had all but betrayed me. I couldn't fall into his arms like I knew he wanted because he had chucked me away. 

"What the hell happened to this place? It looks nothing like it did when I left." I murmured. 

"A lot started to change after you left. Did you know that I was the first Alpha known to reject his true mate?" He said with a shake of his head. "I mean I wasn't the first wolf to reject his mate but I was the first Alpha. I truly thought I was doing what was right for the pack when I marked and mated your sister. When I look back I think what a stupid child I was. My parents were ashamed of me when they found out what I did. My mother still can't even look me in the eye." 

"Do you think about the lives that you and Leanne have ruined because of your selfish decisions?" I bravely ask. 

"Everyday. Although, the only one I care about is your life. I thought you were dead at first, by wolf said you were silent that he couldn't sense you, but he knew you weren't dead. He said he didn't feel you die. That's why I never stopped looking for you." Jacob admits. 

"I don't solely blame you for your decision. I mean there was a bigger mastermind at foot. Unfortunately she was very good at covering her tracks. But I mean, you both did ruin her mates life as well." I responded. 

He let out a growl. "He killed my son."

I looked at him in his eyes. They were shining brightly but behind them was a darkness, a pain that lingered. "Jacob, please don't take this the wrong way, but how do you know he was your son? I mean we both know what Leanne was like? Well I hope you know what she was like? How are you sure that she was pregnant with your child and not her mates?" I whispered.