Disinfectant

The darkness was overwhelming, everything seemed gloomy. It was surreal as it washed over me. The feelings of fear creeped onto my skin. All I could hear was the thumping of my heart in between a never-ending bleeping. I could feel my nostrils stir. The overwhelming smell of disinfectant filled the air.

I peeled my eyes open and all I could see was white. The ceilings were bland; the walls had no personality. Where the fuck was I? I turned to my right and there, at the side of the bed, was a machine that was hooked to my chest. The wires were crawling all over my body. My head was pounding, giving me the biggest headache I've ever head. I winced at the pain that lingered at the back of my head.

I looked to my left and there was a window that was covered by blinds. The thing that shocked me the most was the body that was hunched over my bed, his head tilted to the side as the bed which I slept on held my head. I looked down at Benji's contorted form, his hair muscled, his eyes had deep circles underneath. He looked like shit. I stretched my fingers out, trying to bring the sensation to my tips.

I gently run my fingers through his hair, hoping to wake him gently. He stirs slightly as his nose wiggles in response to my movement. His mouth hung open and I can see the drool slipping through his mouth onto the bed. Normally, this would bother me, but I will let it pass as Benji is one of the most hygienic people I have ever met..

"Benji," I croak out softly as I run my fingers through his hair.

"In a minute." He mumbles in his sleep.

"Benji, I need you to wake up and stop drooling." I give a small tug on the ends of his hair. His eyes snap open, his body bolts forwards. His eyes connect with mine and they widen. I can see the shock but the happiness that he has since I'm awake and alert.

"Lettie!" He exclaims. His shoulders release the tension. "Thank fuck your awake!" He sighed.

"Mind telling me why I'm in a hospital bed?" I replied. My voice was hoarse and dry. My tongue felt like sandpaper. I pointed to the cup of water that was on the bedside table. Benji quickly moved and pushed me upright with care as he passed me the drink. The water slipped down my throat with ease. "Thanks."

"No problem Letti, how you feeling?" He asked with concern.

"My head feels like shit. It's pounding." I responded, closing my eyes. The room was too bright, only adding to my pain.

"Do you have any idea how long I have been worried about you? You've been in the hospital for two days. You banged your head pretty hard. When you wouldn't wake up, I called an ambulance." He explained. "By the way, I had to say you were my sister. They wouldn't let me in or know what was going on if I wasn't a family member." He huffed in frustration.

I gave him a small smile. I was glad he told them I was a sister because to me; he was a brother in every sense. "What was the verdict? What did they say?"

"Well, you've banged your head. They did a CT scan and said that you had a minor concussion. They said you would wake when you wanted to." It's then that he slapped my arm.

"Hey!" I exclaimed.

"Don't hey me! What the hell happened? I've cried too many tears over you! I thought I lost you, Lettie." He sniffled.

"Hey, I'm still here! Just took a little nap." I said with a wink as I gently stroked his arm. I wanted to reassure him I was good and there was nothing to worry about. "What's with you calling me Lettie?" I chuckled lightly.

"It's a nickname." He raised his eyebrow. "My nickname for you." He quickly got up from his chair again and before I knew it, he pulled me into a gut wrenching hug. He squeezed me tightly, and it was then that I let the small tear escape my eye. I didn't want to hurt or worry him. I could feel his concern as he gripped me. "Don't scare me like that, please? You're the only family I have." He whispered in pain.