Chapter 15

New York City...

Emily and Lizzie were sat on a picnic bench outside a motel, Emily was able to book them into but were having to wait until the room was cleaned for them. Lizzie was eating a cupcake, "You know..." Lizzie looked at her, "For a kid who believes in fairytales, to find out they're real you're a lot calmer than Henry and Gracie were," Emily said.

"Where's our storybook?" Lizzie asked.

"I have no idea... It's what I'm looking for. We have to go to some people's homes and look for it," Emily said.

"Break in?" Lizzie asked.

"Well, Emma taught me how to pick a lock so... Yes," Emily said.

"But your magic..." Lizzie said.

"Cursed without it," Emily said.

"Can I ask you something?" Lizzie asked.

"Shoot," Emily said as she looked at her.

"Who is the real villain?" Lizzie asked.

"Ivy and Eloise... The woman Rogers saved with Gracie a few days ago, but Sean and Victoria are also villains, and they are where they belong," Emily said.

"Are Bradley and me in danger?" Lizzie asked.

"If Ivy believes you just think fairytales are real, you are safe... If they know you know, you are in danger... I'm sorry, sweetie," Emily said.

"It's okay, mama... You needed help and taking your daughter on a road trip is more understandable than Adam or Grace... Even though Grace is your daughter..." Lizzie said.

"I know what you mean," Emily said.

"So... You're Rose Red," Emily nodded, "The Mad Hatter is my dad?" She nodded again, "Rumpelstiltskin is my grandfather?" She nodded again, "Bradley got the darkness from the Dark Queen?" She nodded once more, "So... Do I share my father's madness?" Lizzie said.

"Depends on your definition of madness," Emily said.

"Bradley said I was mad because I believed in fairytales," Lizzie said.

"Then you are... But how about I tell you something... Are the best people are... You can put up with us dark folk a lot easier," Emily said and chuckled softly.

"Is that why Jefferson stuck with you?" Lizzie asked.

"He balanced my darkness and I balance his madness. We work and I can't wait to be with him properly," Emily said.

Lizzie took out Henry's book, "Why aren't you drawn in here?" Lizzie asked.

"The curse, they don't want it broken... This one allows no magic and no Saviour, so Emma's not useful," Emily said.

"And Grace..." Lizzie said.

"Her plan... It's her destiny to make sure everyone is together and no one is ever separated again so, I'm doing as I'm told... For a change," Emily said.