29 | She awakens

-------- °° --------
[ Chapter 29 ]
❛She awakens❜
-------- °° --------

-------- ≪ °✾° ≫ --------[ Chapter 29 ]  ❛She awakens❜-------- ≪ °✾° ≫ --------

"SHH," Jay held a finger up to his lips. "There's a freaking griever down there."

It was the next day and Jay, Amara and Jungkook, found themselves back inside of the stone maze. Running it's ever-changing patterns and curves, cutting through the long vines that grew from its walls and stopping every so often to catch a break. It was like deja vu.

Jay had been running a metre or two ahead of the twins, when he'd rounded a corner to the right when he slammed to a stop, his feet almost skidding out from underneath him. He jumped and grabbed the two of them. Jungkook by the shirt and Amara by the waist, pushing them both against the wall.

Jungkook and Amara's eyes widened, though they remained calm. They were no stranger to grievers and knew it was best to remain calm, quiet and invisible rather then cause a scene and run away. They would only chase you.

Pulling away from the them, Jay slowly leaned forward to take a peek. Amara wanted to scream at him to be careful.

Jay's head jerked back and he turned to face them both again. His voice was still a whisper. "It's just sitting up there - almost like that dead one we saw, Amara." The two remembered that encounter all too well.

"What do we do?" Jungkook asked, as quietly as possible. He tried to ignore the panic flaring inside of him.

"Is it coming towards us?" Amara asked, staring into Jay's eyes for an answer before he spoke the words himself.

"No, idiot - I just told you it was sitting there," Jay quipped with the roll of his eyes, although he winced when Amara hit him in the shoulder, displeased with the name he referred to as. "Sorry." He apologised all too quickly.

"Well?" Jungkook raised his hands to his sides in frustration. "What do we do?" He repeats his question. Standing so close to a griever seemed like a bad idea.

Jay paused for a few seconds, thinking before he spoke. "We have to go that way to get to our section. Let's just watch it awhile - if it comes after us, we'll run back to the Glade." He took another peek, then quickly looked over his shoulder, startling the twins. "Crap - it's gone! Come on!"

Jay didn't wait for a response, nor did he see the look of horror Jungkook had just felt widen his own eyes as Jay grabbed Amara's hand and took off running in the direction the griever just was.

Though his instincts told him not to, Jungkook followed them.

He sprinted down the long corridor after Jay and Amara, turned left, then right. At every turn, they slowed so the keeper could look around the corner first. Each time he whispered back to the two that he'd seen the tail end of the griever disappearing around the next turn. This went on for ten minutes, until they came to the long opening that ended at the cliff, where beyond lay nothing but the lifeless sky. The griever was charging towards that sky.