34 | Cracking the code

-------- °° --------
[ Chapter 34 ]
❛Cracking the code❜
-------- °° --------

-------- ≪ °✾° ≫ --------[ Chapter 34 ]  ❛Cracking the code❜-------- ≪ °✾° ≫ --------

"We'll be back," Jungkook said, grabbing Amara's hand as he turned to go. "We've gotta find Hope and Jay, see if any of the maps survived."

"Wait!" Theresa yelled. "Get me out of here!"

But there was no time, and Jungkook felt awful about it. Amara on the other-hand...

"Sorry, looks like you're going to have to stay in there a bit longer," she smiled a large, condescending smile that lacked sympathy.

Amara pulled Jungkook by her hand to leave, but he kept his feet planted on the floor. Guilt was getting the better of him. "I can't – I'll be back, I promise." He turned and finally the twins left and set off in a sprint for the map room and its foggy black cloud of smoke.

"You know what your problem is, Kook," Amara cast a look at her brother as they ran. "You're too kind."

Jungkook looked at her from the corner of his eye, his hair bouncing as he ran. "I'm sorry I'm not a bitch like you, sis."

"Apology accepted." Said Amara and Jungkook would have laughed, if he didn't feel so sick.

Their stomachs churned with dread. If their theories were in fact right, and they'd been that close to figuring out some kind of clue to get out of the maze, only to see it literally go up in flames... it was so upsetting it hurt.

The first thing they saw when they ran up was a group of Gladers huddled just outside the large steel door, still ajar, its outer edge blackened with soot. But as they got closer, they realised they were surrounding something on the ground, all of them looking down at it. He spotted Hope, kneeling there in the middle, leaning over a body.

Jay was standing behind him, looking distraught and dirty spotted Jungkook and Amara first. "Where'd you go?" he asked. His eyes discreetly took a swift glance over Amara, making sure even the smallest of hairs wasn't misplaced on her head or elsewhere. Unconsciously, she moved to stand at his side, finding comfort in his presence alone.

"To talk to Theresa – what happened?" Jungkook waited anxiously for the next dump of bad news.

Jay's forehead creased in anger. "Our map room was set on fire and you ran off to talk to your shuck girlfriend? What's wrong with you?"

"Hey!" Jungkook exclaimed, growing angry himself. "Amara was with me too." He pointed at his sister.

Amara rolled her eyes, "Only because you dragged me there."

"I didn't think it mattered anymore – if you haven't figured out the maps by now..." he trailed off upon seeing the look on Jay's face.

"Wrong choice of words, kookie." Amara whispered under her breath as she rubbed at her nose, knowing very well Jay couldn't control his temper and Jungkook didn't know when to shut up – it was never a good mix.