20 | Overnight in the Maze

-------- °° --------
[ Chapter 20 ]
❛Overnight in the Maze❜
-------- °° --------

-------- ≪ °✾° ≫ --------[ Chapter 20 ]  ❛Overnight in the Maze❜-------- ≪ °✾° ≫ --------

FOR SEVERAL SECONDS, Jungkook felt like the world had frozen in place. A thick silence followed the thunderous rumble of the door closing, and a veil of darkness seemed to cover the sky, as if even the sun had been frightened away by what lurked in the maze. Twilight had fallen, and the mammoth walls looked like enormous grave stones in a weed-infested cemetery for giants. Jungkook leaned back against the rough stone, overcome by disbelief at what he had just done.

He was filled with terror at what the consequences might be. . .

A sharp cry from Namjoon up ahead snapped Jungkook to attention again; Jay was moaning in pain and Amara looked as if she could pass out at any moment. Jungkook pushed himself away from the wall and ran to the three Gladers.

Jay had managed to pull himself up and was standing once again, approaching where Amara lay not far from him, checking her dirtied figure over and making sure she was okay— but he looked terrible too. Even in the little light available, Jungkook was able to see his pale complexion, his skin all sweaty, dirty and scratched up. Namjoon, on the ground, looked worse, his clothes ripped, his arms covered with cuts and bruises. Jungkook shuddered at the sight before him.

"Greenie," Jay breathed out, looking away from Amara up to Jungkook. "If you think that was brave comin' in here, listen up. You're the shuckiest shuck-faced shuck there ever was. You're as good as dead, just like us."

It seemed Amara only realised she was in the presence of Jungkook, not expecting him to run in, in attempts to be a hero only to wind up in the hands of death. "Are you stupid?" She asked him in disbelief.

Jungkook felt his face heat up— he'd expected at least a little gratitude. "I couldn't just stand there and leave you guys out here."

Amara scoffed at his reasons, although she could see the good intentions behind them. The problem was, Jungkook made a decision on impulse and didn't comprehend the repercussions— he was an impulsive thinker, and that could do more harm then good in places like the maze and Glade. Smart or not.

"And what good are you with us?" Jay rolled his eyes. "Whatever, dude. Break the number one rule, kill yourself, whatever."

Jungkook felt like kicking the runner in the face, his temper rising. "You're welcome. I was just trying to help."

Jay forced a bitter laugh, then helped Amara up from off of the floor, not wanting her down for too long in case any visitors cared to pay them a visit. The dark-haired runner then knelt back on the ground besides Namjoon.

Jungkook took a closer look at Namjoon, only just realising now how bad things were— he looked on the edge of death. His usual melanin complexion was losing colour fast, to the point one could mistake him as a ghost, and his breaths were quick and shallow. . . he had yet to open his eyes.