26.- Internships: Monster III

· · ─────── · ·  ─────── · ·

HEY EVERYONE! HOW HAVE YOU BEEN? I HOPE GREAT!

I MISSED YOU ALL, BUT HERE'S A TREAT FOR THE LONG WAIT: +9K WORDS TO READ.

YEAH, KINDA LONG. SO GRAB YOUR WATER AND SOME POPCORN, PUT YOUR SPOTIFY OR MY RECOMMENDATION: THE YOUTUBE PLAYLIST OF THIS ARC!

I HOPE YOU ENJOY THIS ARC AS MUCH AS I DID WRITING IT.

· · ─────── · · ─────── · ·

We, as human beings, are often troubled with decisions and decision-making. 

In science there's been research claiming to identify two important factors of decision making on the brain, labeling them as the Reflective System and the Reactive System.

See, it's not too hard to understand: The Reflective System is our logical and methodical part, while the Reactive System appeals to our emotions or habits. The thing is on a first basis, we can only use one system at a time to process information since the two systems are directed by different parts of our brain.

Our brain has been through both approaches at least once in a while, however, it is true that we, as individuals, feel more at ease with one of these when in decision making. 

One of these is our natural, primary reaction when faced with tough, threatening, or delicate situations. 

Logic versus emotions, mind versus instinct... the eternal dilemma of what makes us human. Though, if we speak of emotions what breaks our consciousness harder, faster? Love and care? Or is it hatred and rage? Which one is egoistical, which one is over the greater good morally speaking?

'Are you sure about this, kiddo?'

(y/n) said nothing, closing her eyes for a minute, feeling the dancing threads flow across her body, over her suit. Somehow, the noise had muffled down, the rush was no more and the quietness took over every inch of her body and soul.

It was, ironically, too quiet in her mind. Too quiet for her to like it.

Her brain asked for one thing, though it was too difficult to connect her thoughts with her brain. Her head was split into too many tiny pieces to even comprehend the extent of her choices, the nature of the consequences.

Ever since she came here, everything has been so troublesome, so complicated. Not only were there awful societal ideals, but the complexity of forming relationships with others while trying to keep them in line to be safe, and to not mess it up by revealing the blood and filth there is in her past became heavier and messier by the passing days. She liked these people, but it was exhausting.

Keeping your walls up, keeping your facade was so demanding, mentally and physically exhausting. It made her double think if being a lab runaway fugitive during wartime was easier than being in the eye of it all.

"For fuck's sake don't ask me again, " She said, gritting her teeth together as she looked upwards, her eyes still closed as she took in the decision.