32. Coming Home

WE'VE OFFICIALLY STARTED PART TWO OF THE BOOK.

Take this as an intro to part two, the prologue or however you wish. It is canon.

WORD COUNT: 3,172

WARNING AHEAD: 

I think Symbiote will get more mature from now on.

UNEDITED

 · · ─────── · · ─────── · ·

The guttural screams that pierced Aizawa's ears made his heart drop each time. Each time she screamed, each time she cried, each time her body shook uncontrollably, he wanted to cry with her as well. He dreaded which one would come next, not knowing which was worse than the other. 

This was a pain he'd never experienced before, the pain of seeing your child hurting and not being able to ease that pain away from them, no matter how much you tried.

"What did they do to her!" Akira snapped while drenching another towel in cold water. He'd been changing the water's temperature for heaven only knows how much already. It's been a raging hell.

"We still don't know," Aizawa's voice slipped through (y/n)'s screams. Wiping her tears, he carefully placed another cold towel over her head, hoping it'll quench the fever down. She was moving frantically over the bed, screaming and blurting incoherent words only to stop and cry, and then repeat. Not only that, but Venom's screams filtered through occasionally. 

"She started feeling strange after the last interviewer, the one who completely discarded the questions and said triggering things to her. Jeanist told us she went to the restroom and spent quite some time back there— possibly calming herself. She didn't come out, and that's when Jeanist called for me. When I got there I found her passed out. She's been like this since—"

"It's been days, Aizawa, days!" Akira snapped, running to her opposite side, only to try to focus on controlling the high fever on her body. "No matter how much I manage to break the fever down, it won't settle— how long have we been doing this now?"

Aizawa shook his head. "I don't know what else to do. I cannot bring her near any hospital, nor let any staff evaluate her— they can't know about this." Frustrated, he threw the hot burning towel away before looking at Akira. "That's why I called you, that's why you're the only one allowed here to help me get her through this."

Akira glanced towards Aizawa, then towards his child. 

"My class is on I-Island and once they come back we'll have a camping trip... We need to work this out for the time they come. She deserves to be part of that trip." 

"What if she doesn't go? Maybe time off will do her good."

"She loves forests," Aizawa admitted, looking at her kid as he dampened her face with the cold towel. "She's told me about how she'd love to go on a forest trip, she adores them... the camp is in the middle of a forest, so I think it will do her good, to ease her mind in a spot she loves so much."

Akira sighed, placing his hands on the sides of her head.

"I cannot break through as you think, you know that, right?"

"Yes, I know... and I wouldn't ask you that either, that would betray her trust."

Akira felt a pang pierce his heart at the sound of those words. He couldn't help but feel glad, even if it hurt, that at least this kid had found home in someone who truly cared for her. Not all of the kids like her were this lucky, he would know.