Ch 10 - Pettigrew on Marauders' map

Harry's POV

Well, sometime after the fight between Ron and Hermione, we went to Hagrid to know about his hearing.
"How was the hearing, Hagrid?" asked Hermione.
Then Hagrid explained us everything that there were the committee members, along with Lucius Malfoy, then Hagrid did his part saying how Buckbeak was innocent and he caused no harm, of how he just looked after his feathers. But it resulted in no good, instead worst, that-

"-Buckbeak is sentenced to death" said Hagrid, sobbing.
"WHAT?!" we all shrieked.
"Yes..." He confirmed whilst he shed more tears, losing his words.

We all hugged Hagrid and consoled him. There was nothing we could've done, nothing. So we went back to the castle, feeling heavy-hearted.
"I-I co-couldn't believe t-this. How can they sentence him to death?? They can't do this!" said Y/n, suddenly putting her arms around me. All I could do that stroke her, awkwardly.
When we reach back to the castle, it was almost night. So we decided to go to our dorms without another word.

Y/n's POV

I was not at all able to sleep for the next few days, after hearing the tragic news. Even today. So I decided to read a book, of course they can be quite a source of comfort. I remember Hermione had gave a book named "Jane Eyre" to me. As I sit on the sofa, I read further from where I left last.

All of a sudden, I hear a voice, a friendly one. "Y/n!"
I turn around, "Oh Harry! You scared me. Wh-what are you d-doing here?"

"Oh, nothing. I was having a look at the Marauders' Map. What are you doing?"
he asked while he took a seat, close to me.
"Oh nothing. I mean I was reading this book."

"Oh ok."

I continue my reading.
"Uh, I have to tell you something" Harry said.
"What is it?"
"Actually, when I was having a look on the Marauders' Map, I saw someone..."
"Well, it shows everyone, doesn't it? That's not serious if you saw someone."
"That's not funny Y/n. I saw Peter, Peter Pettigrew."

Peter, hmm...I think I heard this name. Oh wait, right. Harry told me how dad killed him too, I remember Harry telling me the day after he had yelled at me and then comforted me in the Astronomy tower.

"But wait, wasn't he dead?" I asked.
"Yeah. That's why I was thinking to look around and then I saw you."
"Oh well then I'll help you."
"Are you sure? I mean I don't want you to discontinue what you're reading" Harry said. He knows how much I love reading.

Closing the book, I say "Here. Now, can we go?"
"Yeah." We both get up following what was shown on the Marauders' Map.

We had walked a distance when we heard footsteps.
"Harry! Look."
"Oh no. Professor Snape."
"Right! Close the map, NOW!"
"Mischief Managed!" and the map closed.
"Nox" I said and the light turned out.

Snape came forward illuminating his own wand. "Mr Potter and Miss Black, right as expected," he said in his highly unusual and boring voice, "what are you two doing wandering in the corridors at night? Famous Harry Potter goes where he wants to, with whoever he wants to, with no thoughts of consequences. And Miss Black. It seems like you don't even care about your life. Or are you trying to find and show your love to your murderer father? How extraordinary like your father you are, Potter. He too was exceedingly arrogant, strutting about the castle."

"My dad didn't strut, nor do I. And it was me who called Y/n, not her. Don't say a word against her. Now if you don't mind, we would appreciate it if you could lower your wand," said Harry, angrily with a sarcastic tone.

"Turn out your pockets, both of you."

We turned out our pockets and Snape saw the map in Harry's hands, "What's this? And old piece of parchment? Open it!" He ordered.

As Harry opened it, Snape moved his own wand, "Reveal your secrets! Read it both of you!" he said, and something unusual appeared on the map. We started reading the lines one by one.

"Mr Moony presents his compliments to Professor Snape, and begs him to keep his abnormally large nose out of other people's business."
"Mr Prongs agrees with Mr Moony, and would like to add that Professor Snape is an ugly git."
"Mr Padfoot would like to register his astonishment that an idiot like that ever became a Professor."
"Mr Wormtail bids Professor Snape good day, and advises him to wash his hair, the slimeball."

I swear that I would've or rather we would've burst out laughing if the situation would've been normal. The third line, Merlin, it was so funny. Snape was almost going to say something when I heard Remus's voice, "Professor!"

"Well, well, Lupin. Out for a light walk in the moonlight, are we?" Snape said turning around. And then he snatched the map from Harry's hands, "I have confiscated a rather curious artefact from Mr Potter and Miss Black. Take a look. It is supposed to be your area of expertise. Clearly, it is full of dark magic" he said handing the map to Remus.

"I seriously doubt it, Severus. It looks to me as a parchment designed to insult anyone who tries to read it. I suspect it's a Zonko Product."

Snape tried to snatch the map once again as he did from Harry's, but Remus didn't allow him.
"Nevertheless, I shall investigate any hidden qualities it may possess. It is after all, as you said, my area of expertise, Remus turned to us, "Kids, would you come with me?" then we nodded and followed him and he said, "Professor, Goodnight!"

We went to his office. "Come in" he called.

We entered.
"Now, I haven't got the faintest idea of how this map came to be in your possession, but quite frankly astounded that you didn't hand it in! Did it ever occur to you both that this in the hands of Sirius Black is a map to you?"

Wait, now...now why is Remus trying to be against Dad? I mean he said he was innocent and now.... Adults can be so confusing sometimes. Though, we remain there speechless.

"Harry, your father never set many stories by the rules either, but he and your mother gave their lives to save yours. Gambling the sacrifice by wandering around the castle unprotected with a killer on the loose seems to be a poor way to repay them. And Y/n, I didn't expect you to do this. Next time, take care of Harry and yourself. Now I will not cover up for you again, do you hear me? Both of you?"

"Yes."

"Now I want you both to return to your dormitories and stay there and don't take any detours. If you do, I shall know."

"Professor, I am not sure if that map works anymore," said Harry.
"What do you mean?" Remus asked, raising an eyebrow.
"Earlier, we saw someone on the map, who was supposed to be dead," said Harry, again.
"Really? And who that might be?" Remus asked again.
"Peter Pettigrew" we both said in unison. "Well that's not possible."
"But we saw that earlier! That's all we have to say," said I. And then I and Harry left.

Harry's POV

On reaching the common room, Y/n starts reading the book again. I don't know why I wanted to accompany her. There was silence all around except for her soft murmurs. "Uh...would you mind if I ask you about the story??" I asked.

"Not at all. Well, as far as I have read and understood..." and then she starts explaining. After her explanation, I ask, "So um, can I read it too?"
"Sure why not?" And then she shares the book.

Probably, this is the best way to spend the night, as we did.

A/n: Guys I am really sorry. I updated this chapter very late... If you could then please forgive me, but I have a very busy schedule. Nevertheless, I will tryna update the next chapter as soon as possible. Also as I said, I'll take some parts from the book. So don't complain.

Luv ya :)