Chapter 34 - Bittersweet Malevolence

★ timeskip ★

Y/n's POV

"Gosh, this woman is going to drive us nuts, I'm telling you."

"I can sense you'll be better at predicting futures than Trelawney," said Harry with a light laugh.

"Shut up Potterson, this isn't funny."

He turned his head to me, wiggling his brows, with that signature sarcastic smirk returning on his lips, and he spoke in a low husky voice, "'Potterson', huh? Very impressive."

I frowned. No wonder why this guy ought to be called the "King of Sass". I let out a sigh of annoyance at his words. "You sure have your way with words," I said, shaking my head.

He was going to reply something to that, but we realised we were already before Umbridge's door. Harry knocked. A voice emerged behind, "come in."

Harry pushed open the door and walked in slowly. I followed him inside. Her office was utterly dressed and disguised in pink. And there were cat-accessories everywhere, as my eyes scanned the area. How can such a horrible woman like her have such a pretty room?

"Good evening Mr Potter and Miss Black." Umbridge said, calling to my attention, "have a seat, both of you," she said beckoning us to sit down at the tables that were just ahead of her desk. We took our seats, keeping our bags to the side. Meanwhile, this woman kept adding sugar in her tea.

Woman, you're gonna have diabetes. I thought, as my brows shot up, and my eyes almost popped out.

She cleared her throat, "Now, both of you are going to be doing some lines for me today."

None of us responded, but our hands reached our bags to grab a quill, when suddenly she interrupted again, "No, not with your quills. You're going to be using rather special ones of mine..." she said with a honeyed smile. She stood up, grabbed two quills from her desk, and landed each of the two on our tables. She turned to Harry, "now, I want you to write 'I must not tell lies," and then she turned her head to me, "and you'll be writing 'I must not speak out of turns'."

With that being said, she walked away, behind us. Harry asked, "How many times?"

"Well, let's say, for as long as it takes for the message to sink in?" she stated as a matter-of-factly, and I swear, I could sense her evil wicked smile emanating from that toadface of hers.

I spoke up this time, "But you haven't given us any ink."

"Oh, you wouldn't need any ink."

I turned to look at Harry, who looked just as puzzled as I was. But shaking it off, we began writing.

Harry's POV

No sooner had I completed writing the sentence once than I felt something uneasy and burning on the back of my left hand which made me hiss in pain. I grunted. Y/n stopped writing and turned to look. I flipped my hand and checked, the same words, which I had scribbled on the paper, were getting etched on my skin. Y/n looked horrified by that. While I wondered, was it the... quill? But it didn't cause any harm to Y/n, not that I was complaining because I would never want her to get hurt, but... you know, I just couldn't get to the root of the mystery. Just then, Umbridge approached me, and asked innocently, "yes?"